Money Issues for an Expat

DianaLovesBsAs said:
Hi!

So, I am not in Buenos Aires yet, but I will be pretty soon. My bf and I have an earning potential of about ARS$8k-$10k a month... We don't have to pay rent, but we do have to pay for groceries & utilities... I am very conservative with money, so inflation and government meddling in the financial sector, I am nervous that the money we make won't be enough to live.

My question... between the two of us, is making $8k-$10k livable?

Not paying rent will be a big load of your mind and having 10k/month will definitely allow you to live, even with the occasional luxuries. The thing to consider is that 10k this month is worth more than 10k next month and in a few months 10k pesos might be the cost of a loaf of bread (actually I'd give it a year and a half at least).

I think you will be fine, and like you said, I also outright refuse to pay prices I feel are outrageous on anything I dont direly need, and yes, an individual sized pizza from a typical pizza joint costs less than a frozen pizza in the supermarket, (mind you the 40 peso reference was for a nicer brand, the Coto brand frozen pizza was 26 pesos, still a rip-off though) hence the reason why as a single guy, I eat out most of the time.

Prices these days in the Capital Federal as far as food goes is the same as outside of the capital, with the exception of some restaurants, but this is not always the case, as its hit or miss. I had dinner at a paper napkin, cracked wine glass, and no table cloth parilla restaurant in Caballito (a historically working class neighborhood that is quickly becoming CHETO) for more money than a restaurant in Puerto Madero.

Basically dont ever buy clothes, dont ever buy electronics, dont buy any food that is imported or drink imported brand alcohol (Grey Goose today was 350 pesos at COTO), buy house brand products when you can, and hit up local restos with good menus on a regular basis and they might throw some perks your way.

DianaLovesBsAs said:
No, my money would be earned in pesos, but i'd save in dollars.

Eclair said:
Saving in dollars may be a challenge if you're not approved by AFIP to exchange dollars.

KevinK said:
one other question is that is your salary before or after taxes...if that is before taxes and you will be liable for taxes here beware...what you end up having to spend culd be far less
I wanted to quote these all together.

Do you plan on paying taxes here? If you want to save in dollars (or even buy them for travel) you need to prove your income to the AFIP and pay taxes on that income. If 3-5k is pre tax income, you'll probably still get by but it'll be tighter.

Wait. Your boyfriend makes $200/hr teaching English? Unless he can get you a job where he works, I wouldn't count on finding that. I assume you're planning on "jumping in" to teach private lessons, so you should probably be aware that the going rate is around $60 per class.

$4,000/month is a decent entry full-time salary by Argentine standards. I'm pretty sure full time school teachers don't make much more than that.

If you're not paying rent, $4-5,000 per person is definitely livable, but, like others have mentioned, you'll have to be frugal if you want to save.

jenndean said:
$4,000/month is a decent entry full-time salary by Argentine standards. I'm pretty sure full time school teachers don't make much more than that.

According to http://www.me.gov.ar/spu/salarios/pas_dexc.html, the starting salary for a full-time Associate Professor at a public university was $10.449 in October 2010. For full-time teachers in colegios, it was $2484. They would have received some increases since then, based on INDEC inflation rates, so the current salaries are probably about 20% higher than these numbers.

I manage on about 10,000 pesos to 12,000 pesos a month. I pay rent of about 6000 pesos a month and I pay expensas of about 600 a month. At this stage I am finding it a challenge. There are three of us and I am the sole earner. Having said that I get paid in dollars which does help and to be honest I know if I cut down on the social life a bit I will probably do much better. The alternative is I will just have to work more hours and bring in more money.

wow I feel really poor reading this! After taxes I take home about 4500 pesos. I'll admit it's been pretty hard the last couple of months because I'm currently paying US$500 rent. Moving next month so my rent will go way down to AR$1300, I'm quite excited I may actually treat myself to cheese once a month! I'm not particularly good with money either, so I'd say you will be just fine!

Back