Most Affordable Cell Phone Option

About 6 weeks ago I bought a new phone. A very basic Nokia 1208 (no camera and no fancy extras) but the cheapest deal I could find - $140pesos.

But I am leaving BA, so I am selling it - the phone with new charger (still in the packet) I haven't used it. With warranty, manual and box. Also, you can have my SIM card and number that is in the phone. It's pre-pay, so you have to top it up each month (like most foreigners here who don't have a DNI to get a plan) I've had the number for almost 4 years - it's works fine. (my old phone died - so I bought this one).
My SIM is with Claro but this phone is unblocked for any company if you want to change in the future (which is good - most phones here are locked to 1 company)

So, if you're interested, please send me a PM
Cheers

First off I would say that your plan to bring an unlocked phone and then buy a sim is a great idea and really the best way to go.

I might be alone in this but I had issues with buying a sim card from one of those small stores. What happened is that it just stopped working even though I had more than 30 pesos on the line. I then called moviestar and they told me that since I didn't own the line there was nothing that they or I could do.

I recommend going to moviestar, claro, or personal and setting up a foreigner account. All you need is a passport and you just buy cards or recharge at the kioskos. This way you own the number and you have somewhere to go if thing go awry. It is very simple and only takes about 10-20 minutes in the store.

The sad truth is that there was an article recently about the fact that Argentinians pay more than the world average for cell phone service.

Text when you can as it is cheaper and also call land lines from your land line when you can. If you do this you will find your pesos will go the extra mile for you.

Back