Motorcycle Adventure

philblue3

Registered
Hey guys, I've read the motorcycle threads out there and had a few questions. I'm not trying to pull a motorcycle diaries here, but I want to get a motorcycle (for less than 4500 pesos) and I want to be able to get around South America...or at least Argentina. Here's the catch: need to get a license and still haven't heard back from the guy who tried to pull the S. American adventure (hope he's still alive). Any advice on getting a license: where? how? is there class to learn (rode 2x in the states)?
Any help is appreciated.

You rode a motorcycle twice in the US and you want to buy a cheap motorcycle to "get around South America"???? My advice: Take the bus.

You rode a motorcycle twice in the US and you want to buy a cheap motorcycle to "get around South America"???? My advice: Take the bus.
Why kill everybody's dream? He may stay in BA until he can decently ride a bike. What's the problem? He surely has already heard a thousands 'Don't'. It would be nice if someone had something constructive to say.

Sorry Phil, that's 25 years I ride motorcycles (in the US, Africa, Europe, South America) and your project is really an utopy.

For less than 4500 pesos you won't find any motorcycle really reliable. You can purchase for that price a brand new motomel CG 125, the engine is quite reliable (but that's about it) and you are going to suffer on it. You need at least a 200/250cc to travel around South America.
Since you have no experience about motorcycle : the first time you'll need to cross sand or mud, you are going to crash, that's for sure (why ? because once you start losing stability your first reflex is to pull the brakes = on a motorcycle it's the opposite, you need to accelerate in order to regain equilibrium). You might end up in the middle of nowhere with a broken wrist (broke my wrist twice in 25 years, two times my legs, both my knees, my back).

Furthermore if you buy a motorcycle in Argentina, you can't take it out of the country.

The best you could do would be to drive from the US down to Argentina = after 2000 miles you'll be able to see if you can do it and head backwards if necessary.

It's a very nice project though ! But for 4500 pesos = no way

Amargo said:
Why kill everybody's dream? He may stay in BA until he can decently ride a bike. What's the problem? He surely has already heard a thousands 'Don't'. It would be nice if someone had something constructive to say.

Don't exaggerate. I'm not killing everybody's dream. I'm a realist. I'm sorry to tell you but not everyone can be an astronaut. A bike that cheap on the roads of S.America with an inexperienced biker? Um, bad idea.

I wish you luck!
To get an Argentine bike licence you have to ride a 125cc for 2 years min, then apply for a licence to ride a bigger bike as far as I know.
Don't even think of less than 250CC.
If you already have a US licence then things may be different.

For that much money you could get yourself a decent enough touring bike, racks and panniers then forget about licenses documentation etc. Just get pedalling and savour the freedom.

4500 pesos will get you a tricycle, maybe.
Go for a Trans Alp and when you've finished with it, give it to me. I need it.

Back