Can I buy a motorcycle in Argentina and travel abroad with it?

Microchoveur

Registered
Holla amigos,

I'm currently planning my roadtrip in Latin America but I first need to know where I'm gonna buy a bike. I really struggle to find sources concerning the purchase of the bike, many links being spread out on numerous website and most of them are more than 5 years old.
I am planning to travel to Peru, Bolivia, Uruguay/Argentina, Chile and eventually Colombia (unsure about that one because of what's happening there right now, I could be wrong). Here are my questions concerning Argentina :
  • I read everywhere that if I buy a motorbike in Argentina as a foreigner, I can't leave the argentinian territory with it, making Argentina a total no-go for my purchase. Is that true ? Is that the same for a new/used bike ?
Any other suggestion is very welcome !
Thanks in advance guys !

PS : Yes i used the research function but it's so unclear...

Here in Patagonia you can’t cross the border with an Argentinian vehicle if you don’t have a permanent address in Argentina. And can prove it... with an Argentine ID.

You could possibly get around that by registering the vehicle with a citizen and then get a notarized permission to bring it out of the country. But that isn’t assured.

It is a hassle. Rental companies can get a special permission for foreigners to bring a vehicle out, but I don’t really know what to get or how to get it.

Back