Movies in BsAs

ElQueso said:
Drives me crazy sometimes! heh. I can understand if a particular title doesn't translate very well, but sometimes some of the simplest titles are completely changed. Often, it's like the title must contain a description of the movies themselves so the people know what the movie's about.

Like "Bad Boys". "Chicos Malos" would be a direct translation. In English, Bad Boys doesn't tell us what the movie is about, it's just the title. But in Spanish it's "Dos Policias Rebeldes." Or something like that, I may be a little off. But it has to tell them what the movie's about.

What's worse is some of the terrible translations in subtitles I've seen. When the characters don't even come close to saying what the subtitles are translating. It's like the translator said "I don't know how to translate that into Spanish idiom so I'm going to make up something."

I'm a semi retired musician (local) and the same thing happens with songs and lyrics: you have NO idea how distorted they are when they go through the record company translation. I know it has to do with rime, but sometimes it's so far away from the original...

I don't know if you need to blame Argentininans for this: I think all the translated stuff (movies, lyrics et all) comes from Mexico and Venezuela.

kikedeolivos said:
I don't know if you need to blame Argentininans for this: I think all the translated stuff (movies, lyrics et all) comes from Mexico and Venezuela.

Yeah, I didn't mean that the Argentines had anything to do with the translations, I was just commenting on Spanish translation in general.

Back