Moving and confused!

adielady

Registered
Hi all,

First, thanks so much for reading. I've read a lot of forums regarding immigration and other bureaucratic nightmares, but just wanted to ask my own questions here. Please forgive any redundancy, I just want to make sure I have the most up-to-date info.

Some context: I married my Argentine husband in NYC, where I'm from and currently live, and I'll be moving to Buenos Aires to join him very soon. We plan on staying there for a while, most likely a year+. I have questions about permanent residency, banks and taxes, health insurance, etc.

I spoke to someone at the Argentine consulate in NYC, and she advised the following: enter as a tourist, have a far-off departure date (still within the 90 day period), and apply for my permanent residency while in Argentina. She said I would need to bring the following with me before I leave the U.S.:

-An FBI background check (w/ apostille)
-Our marriage certificate (she said short cert was fine, but am considering getting extended just to be safe, also w/ apostille)
-Birth certificate. Will certified copy do or does it need to be the original, w/ apostille, of course?

Then once in Arg,
-Antecedes Penales. Do I need this having previously lived in Arg for only 3 months? If so, how do I obtain it?
-Certificado de Domicilio. The gov website for this keeps crashing, but I've gleaned from these forums that what is needed is me, my passport, two witnesses w/ DNI and my husband w/ his DNI to state that I live and will be living at our apartment.
-4x4 color photo
-Translate all documents from US w/ aTraductor Público Nacional then legalize w/ Colegio de Traductores
-Should I make photocopies of everything? Yes, right? Silly question?
-Whatever fees we need to pay

Am I missing anything? I quit my NYC job but will likely be working remotely, but need a DNI for Argentine bank account/general ease of life/possibility of work here. I assume my husband will have to say he will support/sponsor me. How long should the total process (not counting US paperwork) take?

I will obviously keep my American bank account, depositing every so often to keep it active. Whether I work remotely or not, I'll pay taxes in Arg since I'll be living here full-time, but still will file in U.S. I'll obviously speak to an accountant about this but just wanted to state that here in case I'm missing something important. Bankwise, I recently switched to HSBC but after speaking to a rep and reading these forums, I realize that does little for me in terms of banking in Arg. Such is life. I'll open a bank account in Arg as soon as I can, until then cash is king.

Lastly, my husband has very good health insurance thru his job, and I'll be on that. By chance does anyone know if I'll need a DNI to be added?

This was a lot, so grateful to any/all who read any/all of this. I can't wait to contribute whatever Buenos Aires knowledge I learn while living here.

Thank you!

In general, "if in doubt, apostille it." It's so much easier to do while you're in the US. The FBI report has to be apostilled by the US dept of state.. instructions here:
https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...illes/requesting-authentication-services.html

Or there's a service that I just found that does it faster for about $50 - https://www.monumentvisa.com/fbi-apostille.html

For your other documents (birth certificate and marriage certificate), they come from the State so you'll go to the Secretary of State of the state that issued them.

The other stuff you've mostly got figured out, and you'll have time to figure it out while you're here.

I think you might need to do the FBI background check after you arrive in Argentina. If you do it and remain for a time in the US, it may be rendered invalid.

A few points:
  • @camel is exactly right as regards apostille.
  • Marriage cert requires apostille as well IIRC, and NYS does not apostille short cert. Get the long one and apostille it.
  • Most insurances will be happy to put you on a plan without a DNI. In fact, it took me repeated calls to replace my passport with my DNI as my identifier in their system.
  • If done right, you’d be saving a nice bit of dough by booking a one-way ticket rather than a return one.
    I can help with that, DM if interested.
  • As you will speedily learn, even after you have opened a bank account, cash is still king.
    And yes, having HSBC does precious little for you.
  • The residency process has been moved to be almost completely online, search the forums for Radex.
    • A few years back when you had to apply in person, it was (not including putting the paperwork together) almost preposterously simple.
    • You made an appointment online, showed up with the papers, waited to get called.
    • Hand over the papers, hand over the money, you exit the building with a precaria.
    • DNI comes by courier a few weeks later.

I hesitate to offer advice as I am just finding my own way through the process myself. There's a lot of information floating around if you Google for advice, some incorrect and out dated. I can offer my own process through the Radex application system here on BA Expat under "Temporary Residency application using the government's Radex online website for Extrañjeros" I think it makes clear what's required, or what was required for my applicant status. Immigracion is strongly promoting it as the new way to apply, as I witnessed one morning standing in a loong line of people who were probably Mercosur waiting at Immigracion to ask a question at Informes. It seems to be very new, a lot of Argentines I've encountered aren't aware of it.
- you're required to be in country before starting it
- the birth certificate has not been a required document in my application
- there's a list of the documents I was required to produce, including some post completion updates, you'll find in my Radex posts. Strongly recommend you have the documents all in your computer before starting the process so you can upload them all and breeze through the online application.

Last edited:
Hi adielady,
I was wondering how your process went. Was it smooth? Did a lawyer help you? We are about to get the Radex process started for my husband, who is an Aussie - I am Argentinian. A question: once you start the paperwork to obtain your residency online, can you stay in the country past the 90 days of your tourist visa?
Thanks in advance!

Hi adielady,
I was wondering how your process went. Was it smooth? Did a lawyer help you? We are about to get the Radex process started for my husband, who is an Aussie - I am Argentinian. A question: once you start the paperwork to obtain your residency online, can you stay in the country past the 90 days of your tourist visa?
Thanks in advance!
My situation is a little different on that we are applying for permanent residency. I went this week and asked what would happen if we traveled outside the country before we got our precaria (which can take up to 90 days) and with our DNI expired. They told me that if we travel we will not interrupt or nullify our permanent residency request, but we will have to pay the fine for overstaying our visa. It's so ridiculous because you can apply only 60 before your DNI expires, but they can take up to 90 days to get your precaria to you.

Hi adielady,
Thanks in advance!
Hi! I didn't need a lawyer. We filed thru radex and paid the fee to speed up the process (not sure if it helped, really) and what I was told was that it essentially makes it irrelevant because you're no longer a tourist. I actually received my precaria online a few days ago (maybe 2-3 weeks after submitting, even after paying the extra fee) and I have my in person appointment in a couple of days where I show my documents in person and I assume begin the process for the dni? will update with info when i have it :) good luck!

Regarding the "certificado de domicilio", you just go to your local police station here in Argentina with your passport, state where you're living, and they deliver the certificate within 3 working days. No witnesses or anything else needed. Either they verify with the concierge at the building that you live there, or they try to deliver in person, or maybe they just leave it in the mailbox :)

Back