Moving down next year

botanico

Registered
Since no-one has replied to my question "exchange rate on bank transfers" maybe it's because you don't know who the hell I am! So I will introduce myself. Actually I did post a little on this site a couple of years ago but I am getting old and couldn't remember my user name (!) or find my old posts, which were mostly about getting residence.

I am a Canadian born in the UK, teaching at a college and getting ready to retire to BsAs with my wife, after we have visited several times and love it. Hey, it doesn't snow! Even more it has big city energy that we are used to from our years living in London. And tango - we have a great nuevo teacher in BsAs and a background in West Coast Swing.

We are going to go the straight route and get residency, hence my question about bank transfers.

If you remember some 'special' keywords from your posts, you can still get your old username back by searching the forum.
just a thought.

botanico said:
We are going to go the straight route and get residency, hence my question about bank transfers.

I do not mean to hijack your thread, however, am also retired and wondering, what do you believe to be the advantages of becoming a resident? I have crunched the numbers and considered the risks of how things can change so quickly here (government policy) and have come to the conclusion, it is not worth the effort, money or my valuable time. Maybe I am really missing something. For me, maintaining my tourist commuter status in Argentina is the simplest and most economical avenue to take at the ripe old age of 67. Do spend a lot of bucks on airfare, however, keeps everything simple. Make a dash for dust ($$) and stuff every quarter and life is good. Was just wondering what the advantages are of becoming pensioner resident in your view?

And to answer your question:bank transfers. Lots of paper work and headaches, it's Argentina. Everyone has their hand out for a piece of your $$ here.

Dennisr, maybe I am the one missing something, but it seems to us that setting up house in a country and then relying on tourist visa renewals every 90 days, especially given the propensity of argentine government policy to change rapidly, is pretty risky. What happens if coming back from Uruguay you are refused entry and all your belongings are back in BsAs? I have heard of this actually happening to expats living that way in India.
The costs of getting residency is perhaps equal to a couple of airtickets. Plus, we are interested in living there - not going back and forth, so the temporary thing sounds too risky and actually more complex for us personally.
However you do need to show an argentine bank statement each year until you get permanent, and that means arranging regular transfers to that account, since the retired residency depends on showing outside income sufficient to support yourself. So my concern about this story I heard is why I am hoping that someone who actually does this regularly will have something to offer.

Everyone's situation is different and unique to themselves. Surely did not wish to discourage you for sure. *And wanting to have a place of your own to set up camp will definitely require residency. An option I would not financially consider. Maybe five years ago, but not today or in the next few years. For me, everything to loose and not a whole lot to gain. Would rent and stay fluid. Placing all my eggs in the Argentine Basket is too risky in my view. To each their own.

Good luck.

We are renters at home anyway - spent the mortgage money travelling all our lives! So we will rent for 6 months to a year and then find a cheaper unfurnished and bring our things over . And of course we could move on if things didn't work out in the longer term. Maybe I am naive but it seems to me that globally south america is looking like a better option than, say, Europe, for the next decade at least. Lightning never strikes twice, and somebody has to feed the Chinese workers and Argentina is doing that already!

Back