Moving Furniture, Electronics From The Us. Afip Etc..ugh!

Buenaonda

Registered
Hey all,

So I got my DNI last October and am getting ready to close on a place here coming up at the beginning of July. My question is this:

Has anybody in recent memory moved their furniture here from the US?
If so, did you have to pay taxes on your personal goods? And/or did you avoid paying taxes since you had a DNI? I know that AFIP allows you to bring in your personal goods free of charge within a time frame. I have heard from different people that it is within 6 months of getting your DNI and/or 6 months of having bought a place. Anybody have any experience?

Also, I often see Argentines returning to Argentina with a lot of our electronics (large screen TV's etc) in tow. How are they able to do this with the different electrical system? I know with many things, one can conceivably buy a super high-power transformer. However, 6 months ago I was looking to bring a high-quality air purifier here and every company outside of here told me they still would not work, even with a great transformer….(can't imagine why but that was the story). Electronics I'd like to bring along with my furniture include, my nice flat-screen TV, some Boss stereo equipment and a quality vacuum cleaner..(why Argentina cannot make a quality vacuum cleaner is beyond me …but that's another story.)

Also, does anybody have a reliable/ trustworthy moving company they could recommend? I'm thinking this will take 2 months to get here? Reasonable? Whatever info you can contribute would be greatly appreciated.

Anybody ? Anybody? Beuhler? Beuhler?

Hey all,

So I got my DNI last October and am getting ready to close on a place here coming up at the beginning of July. My question is this:

Has anybody in recent memory moved their furniture here from the US?
If so, did you have to pay taxes on your personal goods? And/or did you avoid paying taxes since you had a DNI? I know that AFIP allows you to bring in your personal goods free of charge within a time frame. I have heard from different people that it is within 6 months of getting your DNI and/or 6 months of having bought a place. Anybody have any experience?

Also, I often see Argentines returning to Argentina with a lot of our electronics (large screen TV's etc) in tow. How are they able to do this with the different electrical system? I know with many things, one can conceivably buy a super high-power transformer. However, 6 months ago I was looking to bring a high-quality air purifier here and every company outside of here told me they still would not work, even with a great transformer….(can't imagine why but that was the story). Electronics I'd like to bring along with my furniture include, my nice flat-screen TV, some Boss stereo equipment and a quality vacuum cleaner..(why Argentina cannot make a quality vacuum cleaner is beyond me …but that's another story.)

Also, does anybody have a reliable/ trustworthy moving company they could recommend? I'm thinking this will take 2 months to get here? Reasonable? Whatever info you can contribute would be greatly appreciated.

Anybody ? Anybody? Beuhler? Beuhler?

I use my computer and iPad with just an adapter - no transformer necessary. Check to see whether your electronics have dual-voltage compatibility.

We used Champion Movers (http://www.champmove.com/). It took about two months (via ship from EEUU). It was not cheap. If you electronics are not dual voltage, you'll need step-down transformers (220-> 110). You need to further pay attention to the wattage required by your electronics (and what your transformer is capable of supplying). For television/dvd/etc, you need to be aware of NTSC vs PAL. Hope this helps.

Yes, well my Mac and all those accessories that go with it have always worked fine here. I'm slightly more concerned about larger items. But thank you!

The problem is the frequency not the voltage. If an appliance runs uses an AC motor and is designed for 60 hz there could be problems using it down here.

I am amazed how people are tied to things. You should all study, search in the internet, a new phenomena, called PLANNED OBSOLESENCE. Today, things are made to last no longer than 5 years -Yes, you read well. Tvs, DVD players, Playstation, even the smartphones do not last more than 3 years (being generous).

So, if things last less than 6 years, o maybe 6 years, or so, but always less than 10 years (beater, toaster, microwave, blender, etc) bringing up stuff, paying so much, for what? 3 years of use? you could buy another tv made here to have another 5 years, or 8 years or whatever...

Planned obsolesence began in the US in the 1920s, and of course, envolves every country in the world. Its just false that electronic stuff made in one place last more than other. It is more a matter of luck, my computer was bought in Miami in 2011 and shes not working well at this moment; the computer/electronic industry is under permanent innovation, that is, consumption. They make stuff fragile and wrong on pourpose. You have to permanently throw things out, you can not fix, you can not attach, or adjust, you have to throw and buy some new stuff. It happens with everything, jeans, fridges, Ipods, Ipads, everything. And in the last years, lets say since mid 90s till today, due the revolution they made in electronics, they reduced the lives to 5 years. Cell phones are a clear example that we no longer live in the 1960s societies. I am 36 and had more than 5 cell phones since the 90s till today!

Seriously, once you understand that things are preparred to be thrown after 5 years or so, you wont want to bring stuff from the US or anywhere.

I am amazed how people are tied to things. You should all study, search in the internet, a new phenomena, called PLANNED OBSOLESENCE. Today, things are made to last no longer than 5 years -Yes, you read well. Tvs, DVD players, Playstation, even the smartphones do not last more than 3 years (being generous).

So, if things last less than 6 years, o maybe 6 years, or so, but always less than 10 years (beater, toaster, microwave, blender, etc) bringing up stuff, paying so much, for what? 3 years of use? you could buy another tv made here to have another 5 years, or 8 years or whatever...

Planned obsolesence began in the US in the 1920s, and of course, envolves every country in the world. Its just false that electronic stuff made in one place last more than other. It is more a matter of luck, my computer was bought in Miami in 2011 and shes not working well at this moment; the computer/electronic industry is under permanent innovation, that is, consumption. They make stuff fragile and wrong on pourpose. You have to permanently throw things out, you can not fix, you can not attach, or adjust, you have to throw and buy some new stuff. It happens with everything, jeans, fridges, Ipods, Ipads, everything. And in the last years, lets say since mid 90s till today, due the revolution they made in electronics, they reduced the lives to 5 years. Cell phones are a clear example that we no longer live in the 1960s societies. I am 36 and had more than 5 cell phones since the 90s till today!

Seriously, once you understand that things are preparred to be thrown after 5 years or so, you wont want to bring stuff from the US or anywhere.

In the case of computers (and computer-related items such as phones and smart TVs), Matías, it's technological advances that have superseded earlier versions. We keep an old Macbook in our apartment that's probably ten years old now and is still useful for web searches and email, but I have newer equipment for work and other purposes.

Well thank you for your "philosophy" very much. You sound like you are the keeper of all wisdom…I'll be sure to take some notes next time. Have a good day. :)

Well thank you for your "philosophy" very much. You sound like you are the keeper of all wisdom…I'll be sure to take some notes next time. Have a good day. :)

I m sorry it wasnt personal or directed to you, it is something I want to share, the problematic of planned obsolesence. Sorry if it sounded rude, wasnt my intention.

Ajo, it is not wierd to you that EVERY advance the computer industry makes is 100% incompatible with the previous model? is it an accident? is it an accident that every two years the industry has a new model and that yours is from that moment obsolete? not talking of the moment it stops working, as I said, shorter each time, just of the moment your formely new model is an old one!

Back