Moving in Jan: info needed please

Neilcampbell31

Registered
Hello all,

This is my first post on this forum. I am from London and am moving to Buenos Aires in Janurary 2012 for a one year career break.

There are a few things I would to try to get some help on before I leave and this seems like the right sort of information platform.

Language I am currently learning Spanish through Rosetta Stone, although I am trying very hard - I doubt I will get beyond beginner level before I get out there in January. I am looking at joining day classes at Expanish for 2-3 months in order to get to Intermediate. Is this a good place to start? Any recommendations?

Please let me know.

Neil

Neilcampbell31 said:
moving to Buenos Aires in January 2012

I am currently learning Spanish through Rosetta Stone, although I am trying very hard - I doubt I will get beyond beginner level before I get out there in January. I am looking at joining day classes at Expanish for 2-3 months in order to get to Intermediate. Is this a good place to start? Any recommendations?

FYI: I've been told by many people/locals here that it is extremely hot in the city in January - and most Portenos leave the city for a couple months just to avoid it. Just a heads up!

As for learning the language, don't sell yourself too short; I've heard Rosetta Stone is pretty good, and you'll want a positive attitude going into it! Classes are a good idea, but only one of the many different options for learning Spanish here. You can take classes (see list below), have a private tutor (tons of tutors all over the city), or participate in language exchange groups. And if you really want to practice the language, move into an apartment with Spanish speakers!

List of some of the more popular schools in BsAs (although for some reason CUI isn't listed, which is also a very good school): http://www.languageschoolreviewer.com/Argentina/Buenos-Aires/

Once you're in BA, you should be able to start absorbing the language at a fair pace, since you will be surrounded by its written and spoken forms (and opportunities for learning are everywhere -- heck, when I first arrived, I even studied food labels at the supermarket to help build my vocabulary ;) A private tutor or SMALL group class (2-4 students) is a good investment, since you're unlikely to find that level of scaffolding and guided input elsewhere (which is not to discourage you from engaging in conversation with locals wherever possible, but some might not have the patience and enunciation necessary for beginning listening/speaking skills.)

Meanwhile, there are a few things you can do to prepare yourself a little more before arriving:

*Buy a couple of graded readers from Amazon and do some reading every day. Pay attention to verb forms and keep a vocabulary list of new words.
*Keep a language journal in which you write a paragraph or two in Spanish every day.
*Join a language exchange group.
*Watch some Argentine TV, preferably with Spanish subtitles, on YouTube or Netflix -- you won't understand much, but it'll start acclimating your ears to the porteno accent and help with pronunciation.
*Try to read one article, half an article, or just the headlines on Clarin.com every day. It's a great way to expand your vocabulary.

Good luck!

For Spanish classes, go to the University of Buenos Aires, the teachers are excellent, the courses cheap, the classrooms decaying and you will meet all sorts of people from young students to jaded old bankers like me. Seriously, I learn't much faster their than with the private tutors I insisted in having when I first arrived.

In answer to your first question neil, yes i would highly recommend Expanish, i learnt with them when i first arrived a few months ago, they are by far the most professional outfit in BA... this is what persuaded me http://www.expanish.com/what-people-say-about-expanish.php

HOWEVER! and it is a big however, i would only suggest doing group classes there, its a great school if you want structure, facilities like a library etc but the one to one are a bit more pricey and you can find some good independent teachers around the city, and the bonus is they'll come to your house and be more flexible with hours. Give me a shout if you want a few recommending. Good luck and enjoy BA!

lalunadebrenda said:
Make a friend that doesnt speak any english. Your learn super fast.

You'll learn to speak but you won't necessarily improve your spelling and punctuation...or know when to capitalize.:D

I also studied at the CUI at University of Buenos Aires and I was able to have conversations with non-English speaking people by the second month of the program. I thought it was great! I started out in level 2 and did 2,3 and 4 and was conversational by the end. I also had a great time and I highly recommended the program. Here's some more information from their website:

http://www.studyinbuenosaires.edu.ar/

You're probably looking for the Spanish for Foreign Students Regular Program.

Back