Moving in January, a bit overwhelmed!

sarakaile

Registered
Hi Everyone!
My name is Sara, and my husband and I are moving to BA from New York for one year starting in January. We are newlyweds and super excited to spend a year abroad together before we have kids and other commitments. Only thing is, we are moving because he has the opportunity to work down there and I will be discovering the country by myself for the most part while he is working.

Having a year off from my job sounds quite inviting, but I'm a bit overwhelmed thinking about what a change it will be. I've moved independently before (Boston to Seattle not knowing a soul out there) and I typically adjust well, but I know with the language barrier, the first few months will definitely be more frustrating for me. My husband is fluent and I know enough Spanish to get by (I think), but would like to become fluent as well. Sooo, here are some of my many questions and ANY help would be fantastic!!

- Are the locals tolerant of expats trying to speak the language even if butchering it a bit?
- Did any of you participate in the Spanglish exchange?
- Do any of you have spouses/ significant others who moved for work and you had to sort of figure things out on your own for a while?
- What are some of the biggest changes to be aware of that perhaps no one told you about before moving (other than the fact that meals last for hours and I'm basically such a fast eater I forget to chew my food sometimes)
- What type of phone and plan do you recommend as the best way to stay in touch with friends and family aside from Skype

I'm sure I'll have plenty of other questions along the way, and I realize we are not moving for a few months, but there is a lot to think about and I would definitely appreciate any and all advice!

MUCHAS MUCHAS GRACIAS!
~S~

Hi Sara,

Re language. Portenos are more than tolerant of us non-Spanish speakers. They really try to understand and are so helpful with practical things almost all the time. I was for example getting a police report this morning, and the receptionist, and office worker doing fingerprints and data entry were incredibly cheery and helpful. There are a few practical situations that need Spanish - making medical apointments on the phone for example.

Re biggest change - practical hassle. If you read the forum here you will hear about the hassles with ATM's. You cannot get USD cash from bank ATM's, only pesos, yet you will have most likely have to pay apartment rent and deposit in USD cash. Anticipate this. Look for the forum advice on getting a Schwab bank account.

Re phones. I use a Vonage adaptor that I brought here from the US with my old US wireless phone, to call internationally back to the US. This means I was able to keep my US number and have it ring here. The call quality is better than skype, and in particular when dealing with the long hold times at US call centers, I prefer Vonage. I pay $15 a month for the vonage plan. Skype is very good but since it drops calls when the intenet connection drifts, and does not ring unless a computer is running it's less of a phone and more of a planned chat channel. Skype calls are for me not able to stay on hold for long periods -> being kicked out of a call center queue after only 15 minutes on hold three times in a row on skype get old after about one day!

Congrats on the opportunity! I'm in a very similar situation. My husband and I had moved around a few times in the States without knowing anyone (always adjusted well), before moving here to Bs As for his job. He's a fluent Spanish-speaker and I'm...definitely not. Of course it can be frustrating initially, but it sounds like you're going into it knowing that and having the right mindset definitely helps! And it gets easier. I still sometimes feel helpless when I need his help to do something that would be simple for me if I spoke the language, but I've been taking Spanish immersion courses in the mornings, and they're helping. I would really suggest taking classes when you arrive, it not only helps you with the language, but with learning different things about the culture and the city that you may not have picked up on otherwise. And it's a great way to meet people in similar situations. I haven't gone to a Spanglish event yet, but think I'm going to check it out soon.

The locals that I've encountered have for the most part been helpful even if I'm butchering things. Cab drivers, in particular, have been very friendly and have actually taught me how to say what I'm trying to say properly. Of course there's always someone who is annoyed, but that's to be expected in any major city.

I was lucky that my company in the USA asked me to continue freelancing from Argentina, so they provided me with a phone to use here and my husband's company also provided him with a phone. We use Skype a lot as well.

Other than that, some of the major differences (for me) have been the different cosmetic/beauty products. I stocked up on products before we came, but when I run out it's been a bit difficult to find something comparable, depending on the product. I also used to wear a lot of high heels in the States, and here I think I've worn them once. You will walk everywhere (as I'm sure you do in New York) and heels just aren't practical. I also got a plain silver band to wear instead of my wedding band and engagement ring. You don't see a lot of those types of rings here, depending on your neighborhood, and it's best not to stand out with flashy jewelry. And pack your bags with as many clothes as you think you'll want to bring, then remove at least half. I'm appalled by how much I brought, and will probably never wear!

Best of luck to you, enjoy preparing for your new adventure!

clooz said:
Hi Sara,

Re biggest change - practical hassle. If you read the forum here you will hear about the hassles with ATM's. You cannot get USD cash from bank ATM's, only pesos, yet you will have most likely have to pay apartment rent and deposit in USD cash. Anticipate this. Look for the forum advice on getting a Schwab bank account.

Yes, agree with this. I recommend Schwab as well. And ATM's have a limit on how much you can withdraw each day, so prepare in advance as you're looking for an apartment.

That is all really very helpful and I appreciate it. I did hear the same thing about my wedding ring so I'm glad to see it reiterated! Do you all use credit cards for most purchases and just continue paying those off through your online US bank account?

I first came to BA without knowing anyone...or anything about this forum.

Within a week I met a (very nice) woman on Craigslist who suggested I check it out.

I predict you will become far less apprehensive prior to your arrival...

And will be looking forward to your first face to face meeting with a few women with whom you already feel a very positive connection.:)

sarakaile said:
That is all really very helpful and I appreciate it. I did hear the same thing about my wedding ring so I'm glad to see it reiterated! Do you all use credit cards for most purchases and just continue paying those off through your online US bank account?

Noooo, you will have to get used to using a lot of cash! Credit cards aren't widely accepted here, and many places charge an additional fee if you do want to use one, not to mention the foreign transaction fees you'll be charged by your CC company. You can investigate what cards are available to you with your current CC companies and see if you can have your account switched to a card that doesn't have the fees (I know Chase offers one) but still, I rarely use a CC. Cash is the way to go.

Hi Sara! I got married last year and came here from NY, left my job as well. Please feel free to message me with any questions!! Don't freak out - moving from state to state is different from moving here. The big change is the culture. You will see that everyone here has an opinion on it which can be helpful. It's a cafe culture here - so things, in general are done at a slower pace, which can be frustrating. There are no stores like Target here and Falabella is not like Macys. Clothes (including shoes) tend to be very expensive and not very good quality. Its usually best to buy when you are in the States. If you don't speak Spanish here, its fine! I have been trying to learn and people don't want to practice with me, they want to practice their English! ;o)
Let me know if you'd like other info/or just if you start to feel overwhelmed.
Suerte!!

Hey Sara, bring extras of your favourite makeup products and at least 3 bottles each of your favourite hair shampoo and products. Most (if not all) of the main marks are here but relatively expensive for those earning the ARpeso. Adaptors and chargers can be a pain to replace here (I´ve had some great stuff blow up because of sub par electrical sales staff) Bring comfy shoes for queueing in lines (Avg 2 queues per store). Find a local conversational spanish teacher, as you can easily get by on English whilst churning through the inferno..
And a smile

Back