Moving Overseas With Argentine Partner

Somewhereinba

Registered
I would love to hear stories from expats who have moved overseas with their Argentine partner and how the relationship coped. I get the impression it would be a struggle due to the massive value placed on family and friends by most Argentinians. I know my girlfriend would definitely struggle without her family next to her.

My wife and I live in the US and she is eager to return every year for a couple of months for her family fix during the holidays even after 15+ years here. I don't mind it so much because I get to go to the mountains for a couple of weeks with my Argie climbing buddies.
Count on spending lots of money on airfares.

I think it depends on the person and their family. My husband cant wait to leave Argentina. We can visit his family once a year on vacation.

Not all families are so united. Depends on the individual.

I've met a ton of Argentines living outside of Argentina on a permanent basis who have told me how happy they are. Here are just two examples: A cordobesa friend's sister has been in Barcelona for more than a decade now. She has a Spanish husband and her own dance academy, is super happy and has never looked back nor does she have any desire to move back to Argentina, despite the current economic situation in Spain. She says she never would have been able to do what she's doing in Argentina. A porteño married a friend of mine from college. He had never lived outside of Buenos Aires. They did the K1 fiancé(e) visa and have been in Houston for three years now. He never finished college back in BA but got a great IT job in Houston anyway and makes a great salary. She's a lawyer and it made no sense for her to finish law school and then move somewhere where she couldn't work. Every time I see them I ask if he misses living in Argentina yet, and he always says no. He says he has a better lifestyle, a better job that treats him well, and appreciates the safety and the general quality of life. He doesn't even miss the food because he can find just about everything except for morcilla. They are so happy and in love, and grateful to be together after surviving two years of long-distance courtship. The two Argentines in these examples are extremely close to their families and friends back home, but are content with a once-a-year visit, using the rest of their vacation time to travel elsewhere. They are also open-minded, adventurous types who don't come off as having that insular bubble mentality that Argentina is the best country in the world, sí o sí. I imagine this is a factor.

Argentines are hardly the only nationality to value their family and friends, and if a partner is willing to move overseas, I think it's a good sign. There are some who would never even entertain the thought! I am currently the overseas partner in my relationship and while it hasn't been easy (friends and jobs don't just rain from the sky, getting residency is a bitch, etc.), we are stronger than ever, dare I even say happier than ever, as a couple.

Argentines are hardly the only nationality to value their family and friends

Exactly what I was going to say, everyone here says that like we in the US or Europe or where have you somehow value ours less. I miss mine everyday, and one day, he'll miss his when we're in the US. Needless to say we spend a lot of time going back to the US and one day those trips will be reversed, we make do. Good luck for you if you're thinking about moving back home with your SO, hope it works out!!

We recently made the move from Argentina back to my home. It has been less than 6 months but it is proving very tough for my Argentine partner. She does not have a friend network here and is incredibly lonely. She is not very close to her family but misses her friends intensely. We have planned a trip back to visit much sooner than expected as she is finding it difficult to adjust to life here.
Although I had similar adjustment issues when I was in Argentina, I had chosen to be there for the cultural experience. She has chosen to move to be with me and the Culture Shock she is experiencing she was not at all prepared for. I take the blame for that but it is proving very tough on our relationship.

We recently made the move from Argentina back to my home. It has been less than 6 months but it is proving very tough for my Argentine partner. She does not have a friend network here and is incredibly lonely. She is not very close to her family but misses her friends intensely. We have planned a trip back to visit much sooner than expected as she is finding it difficult to adjust to life here.
Although I had similar adjustment issues when I was in Argentina, I had chosen to be there for the cultural experience. She has chosen to move to be with me and the Culture Shock she is experiencing she was not at all prepared for. I take the blame for that but it is proving very tough on our relationship.

I hope everything works out for you. Can you share with us where you are that is giving her culture shock?

Hope it gets better with time.

Hey thesilva, I know exactly what your partner is goin through. What area do you guys live in now? Maybe there is a site where she can meet other expats or members from this site that have moved on from Argentina. It's really tough but she needs to find a way to meet people. Best advice always accept invitations even if they are plans with people she doesn't necessarily have a great connection with she might meet her best friends through those contacts!

Back