Moving this fall with kids

Kulamama

Registered
Hi all,

We will be moving from California to Buenos Aires for 2 years for my husband's work. We have two young children (4 years and 1 year). I'm interested in connecting with other families with children in the area. We will also need a part-time babysitter/nanny, so any referrals are great! I've been searching the forum for the last month or so learning about schools, neighborhoods, local living, etc. This is such a great resource, thanks to all who contribute.

Heather

Hi Heather,
We have the opportunity to move to BA in the spring, also for my husband's work. We have two children as well, ages 3 and 1. I'd be interested to hear what your research has found. I'm wondering what neighborhoods are the best for families and what rent is like for a 2/3 bedroom apartment. I'm guessing we'd have to find a furnished apartment, as we would likely be there for only 2 years as well.
Thanks!
Lauren

Welcome to you both! I'm a nanny/babysitter which is why I'm jumping in on this thread :D I'm 24 years old, from Texas, and have been here in Buenos Aires for a little more than a year. In my experience, Belgrano is a great neighborhood to live in with young children: it's relatively quiet, safe and is full of parks and playgrounds. I'd love to help out with the kids when you guys get here! I've worked for a few families on this forum who can refer me so just shoot me a PM or email ([email protected]) and we can chat. Good luck with the move!

- Perri

StuckLikeGlue said:
Welcome to you both! I'm a nanny/babysitter which is why I'm jumping in on this thread :D I'm 24 years old, from Texas, and have been here in Buenos Aires for a little more than a year. In my experience, Belgrano is a great neighborhood to live in with young children: it's relatively quiet, safe and is full of parks and playgrounds. I'd love to help out with the kids when you guys get here! I've worked for a few families on this forum who can refer me so just shoot me a PM or email ([email protected]) and we can chat. Good luck with the move!

- Perri

Hi all,

We (Dutch family from Amsterdam) will be arriving next week, Sept 5th. We will be starting in Belgrano. From there we will be searching for a place to live, probably in Zona Norte (Del Viso Pilar, Tigre). We have got a lot of good reco's about these places (affordale, save, green, and so on).

@Perri - we also need a babysit and it seems you live in the neighborhood. Will send you an e-mail.

Pascal

StuckLikeGlue (above) is a wonderful babysitter and person and would be great for you. My kids miss her! We lived in Belgrano the past year (before moving back to NJ) and it's a great neighborhood for expats living here - middle class, non touristy, close to everything, tons of parks, relatively safe and well connected with buses, trains and the subte. PM me if you have any questions.

I live in Belgrano with my 5 year old. It is an awesome neighborhood.

Thanks everyone for the feedback! Belgrano is one of the areas I'm interested in so good to hear others with kids have positive things to say. Lauren, I will definitely pass along any great links I find in my research process!! Perri---I'll email you as we get closer to our arrival....thanks so much for reaching out!

We have been here close to a year. We have 2 young kids (6, 7 years old). We live in Belgrano and we like it here a lot compared to our first place for a month in a serviced apartment/ hotel in Microcentro. It is much safer here and close to everything.... I am not all that familiar with the whole Belgrano but I guess the area between the train station and Cabildo is nicer. Although my first impression is that the buildings are a bit run down, dilapidated. But then again most buildings here are like that.. Ahh, try to choose a building away from the "main" roads, as they can get real noisy. "main" because the roads are not really that wide but heavily used.... street such as J. Hernandez, La Pampa... Juramento..

My rent for a 3 bedroom apartment is not cheap more than USD2K per month. Utilities for me is close to 1K pesos a month.

Hi Heather! I arrived here in buenos aires two months ago, and just moved in to my apartment last week! I have to say, dealing with real estate agents here are a bit tricky. My advice is never start by saying you can pay US dollars, use it as leverage later on in the negotiation.

I live in belgrano for reasons mentioned by stucklikeglue. I also have a 18 months old who will be starting sala de 2 preschool next year in March. The only problem with belgrano is that it is quite far from downtown. If your husband doesn't mind commuting, or he works somewhere close to Belgrano, then I highly recommend it. Another thing you might want to consider is that Belgrano Day School (located on juramento and Cramer) is one of the most prestigious schools here in Buenos Aires. Lincoln School (the american school) is in Buenos Aires province, not to mention you have to pay 6000 USD just to get in. I know many expats that send their children to Belgrano Day school, so far I haven't heard any thing negative about it. I'm still learning about the city and still trying to figure out which days Disco (a large grocery store chain) has 20% off (lol) But if there is anything I can help you with feel free to PM me :)

Alicia

Hi, everyone! My name is Bárbara, and I´m an argentinian who´s been abroad for three years and a half and came back some time ago to continuing studyng. I could see some of you are looking for a nanny/baby sitter and I would like to offer myself for the job. I ve worked in a kinder garden as a sustitute teacher for a couple of months and I loved it!!! I also have some basic first aid knowledge from my last job. I go to university on thursday, but the rest of the week I 'm free. I 'm from Tigre, but I got a car and it gets pretty easy to go to Belgrano, Palermo, or any other area.
If you have any question, please contact me([email protected]).
regards,
Bárbara.

Back