Moving to Argentina.

rolja said:
As far as I know the DNI does not expire. In fact mine was last renewed almost 20 years ago (mandatory when you turn 18).
However, a DNI will not allow you to enter or leave the country unless you are going to a neighbouring country. Otherwise you need a passport.
I don't think there are any issues for your wife as she is Argentinean, and being German you can enter as a tourist for 90 days and take it from there. Worst case scenario you will have to travel to Uruguay every 89 days and that is only a 45min boat ride, have a nice break in Colonia and get back for another 90 days.
No, seriously, you should check at the Argentine Embassy to see if you can get a visa to enable you work, study, etc.
Buena suerte / viel Glueck!

Please be careful to check the number of days your wife is given as a "tourist" upon entry. A recent thread by a native born Argentine traveling with a Canadian passport may provide some very useful information: trapped in argentina. If the post was genuine, your wife my only be granted a tourist visa good for 60 days. To overstay could result in disaster.

You can get specific information from this link to the website for the Registro Civil for Argentine citizens living in BA: (This link appears in the site Igor provided.)

http://registrocivil.gov.ar/areas/registrocivil/?menu_id=10

Hopefully, you wife will not have to go to the registro civil on Ave de Mayo where "foreigners" must apply.

If she is Argentine she should enter on her Argentine passport & then I'm not sure there is a limit. I think it's only if you enter on your other passport. Technically you are not supposed to do that anyway.
But it is a good point for your wife to discuss this issue that steve brings up with the consulate people.

I always wonder why Argentina has such a reputation of being German.

According to the info I can find, between 5% and 7.5% of the population of Argentina is of german descent- around 3 million people.

The USA, on the other hand, has about 15% of the population claiming German Heritage- somewhere around 45 Million people.

And yet, every time I talk to people about Argentina, they always ask me about how they have heard it is so German.
Aside from a couple of restaurants, I have yet to see much German influence in Anything in BsAs.

Milwaukee, on the other hand...

Ries said:
I always wonder why Argentina has such a reputation of being German.

You're right. BA doesn't look very German.

Bariloche, on the other hand....

:)Kurt, is not a problem on moving to Argentina, also renoval of the DNI is not aproblem ider, only you need to do is go to the Argentine counsulate in the State/City were you live and tell them that you want to move to Argentina and they will stamp your passaport with a permanent visa, or better take the fly and como as a turist (6 month) and you can get documentations before the 6 month expire (they will give you another 6 month, also if you wife is Argentine they will do faster. - Mi wife is american born, I'm argentine born but live in the States for 42 years and I was able to come here with all our stuff with no problem and we dint need pay any dutys for anything. we live in Mendoza (city) about 15 miles from the andes Mountains we move here 18 months ago, and we enjoy the weather, City, we dont' ski but is plenty of that, and of course the wine the best in the World (Malbec) I hope that this help and if you need any more info send me a mail at [email protected]
Carlos

Kurt75 said:
Hello guys,
My name is Kurt and I had a few questions for you.
My wife (american citizen) and I are planning to move to Argentina. She is an argentine DNI holder, her parents are argentine. However, her DNI has expired.
Another thing, she has not lived in Argentina for about 5 years.
How will she go about renewing her DNI ?
How long does the process take ?
Can she get it done in the US or will she have to travel to Arg ?
What documents will be needed for the renewal ?
Being married to an DNI holder, will that allow me to enter Argentina ?
Would it be better if we entered as tourists and than handled the procedure in Argentina ?

Thanks for all your help.

Kurt.

Hi, or maybe you can get in touch with a decent moving company (watch out, there are many not to rely at all) such as Transpack, Liftvan, Argenvans, Mercovan and so on. Best 4 u,

GetAlife said:
:)Kurt, is not a problem on moving to Argentina, also renoval of the DNI is not aproblem ider, only you need to do is go to the Argentine counsulate in the State/City were you live and tell them that you want to move to Argentina and they will stamp your passaport with a permanent visa, or better take the fly and como as a turist (6 month) and you can get documentations before the 6 month expire (they will give you another 6 month, also if you wife is Argentine they will do faster. - Mi wife is american born, I'm argentine born but live in the States for 42 years and I was able to come here with all our stuff with no problem and we dint need pay any dutys for anything. we live in Mendoza (city) about 15 miles from the andes Mountains we move here 18 months ago, and we enjoy the weather, City, we dont' ski but is plenty of that, and of course the wine the best in the World (Malbec) I hope that this help and if you need any more info send me a mail at [email protected]
Carlos

I have never heard of a six month tourist visa or anyone getting a "permanent" residency visa just by asking at an Argentine consulate. I know a few who have applied for and received temporary resident visas through Argentine consulates abroad, but I wonder if the consulates actually have the power to grant permanent residency. They might do so for someone married to an Argentine. It's certainly worth asking, but I'm sure they will require some paperwork if they have the power to grant the visa.

Argentine tourist visas are good for 90 days and renewable for 90 days. Because Kurt is married to an Argentine, I think he should be able to apply for permanent residency without getting a temporary resident visafirst or proving income.

In order to apply for permanent residency, Kurt would probably need to have a recent copy (post 2000) of his birth certificate receive the seal of the Apostille in the US. He would also need a US FBI report. Immigration will no doubt want to see the marriage license also with the seal of the Apostille if the wedding was performed outside of Argentina.

Kurt, if your wife enters Argentina with a US passport which indicates her place of birth as Argentina, the 60 day tourist visa rule may indeed apply.

Just be prepared...and careful.

If a DNI for citizens has no expiration, why do think you wife's is no longer valid?

If she had an Argentine passport that has expired, I suggest you see if she can renew it or apply for a new one at the Argentine consulate closest to your home. Then she can leave the US with her US passport and enter Argentina with an AR one.

rolja said:
As far as I know the DNI does not expire.

This is true for citizens and permanent residents.

As a temporary resident, I am required to "renew" my temporary resident visa annually at migraciones. After that I have to go to the registro civil to "renew" my DNI. These "renewals" are referred to as "prorrogas de pemanencia" which translates roughly to permit of stay.

If I go past the renewal date of the visa, my DNI would automatically "expire" and I would have to start over. Fortunately, this year I will renew the visa for the third time and then become eligible for the "cambio de categoria de ingreso" which will grant me permanent residency, ending this vicious cycle.

By the way, did Kurt ever say he was German or was that simply assumed because of his name? Perhaps Ries meant to reply to a different thread. I've known several guys named Kurt and none of them were German.

My friend Wolfgang, on the other hand...

First of all, I have to thank everyone again for their valuable input. Next I have to apologize because I feel I have not been very clear about certain things.
Here we go...
As I had mentioned my wife and I are planning to move to Argentina. When I mentioned that she is an Argentina DNI holder and a US citizen, I meant that she is born in the US.
She received her Permanent DNI in Argentina because she was living there with her parents (both argentine citizen) for about 12 years.
Fast forward 5 years and living in the US, we decide to move to Argentina.
Now, we don’t know if my wife’s DNI has to be reactivated or not. As we are getting conflicting answers from the consulate and people we know.
In Los Angeles at the Argentina consulate, she was advised to travel to Argentina to get it reactivated.
Which doesn’t really make sense as it’s not a temporary DNI and has no expiration date on it.
Now I spoke to a friend of mine in Argentina, he mentioned he has the same exact DNI, the brown / maroon one with EXRAJANERO written on it.
He has never renewed it and has the same rights as a citizen except he cannot vote. He said how can you renew a DNI that has not expired? Which makes sense also?
So I have no idea where I stand right now.
Maybe I should take SteveinBsas advice and get the marriage certificate and birth certificate apostle and just go to Argentina on a tourist visa.
Nothing else makes sense to me.
And yes Steve, I am not German, you nailed it.

Kurt.

steveinbsas said:
You're right. BA doesn't look very German.

Bariloche, on the other hand....

Agreed. It's like saying "New York City doesn't look very German.", but up until the early '90s, the largest single ethnic heritage in the USA were people of German descent. Now I'm thinking that the Mexicans are giving the krauts a run for their money.

Bariloche, Entre Rios, Cordoba (especially La Cumbrecita & Villa General Belgrano), and other places are LOADED with Germans. But they were farmers more than dock workers, so they didn't stick around the ports of Buenos Aires. Just like in the US of A.

Back