Moving to BA - a few questions

MrBart

Registered
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to this forum. I'm a 27 year old Irish guy and I'm seriously considering moving to Buenos Aires shortly.
My main reason for moving is to improve my level of Spanish. Although someone advised me that the Spanish spoken in BA is unique to the city. What's your experience of this?
As with a lot of people, I'm disillusioned with life in my home country. I will be giving up a good job but I figure that there's more to life. After carrying out some research, BA seems to be the best option in South America.
I'm lucky in that I have a flat in Ireland which I can rent out so I'll have a steady income while in BA. Do you think that 3,500 pesos will be enough to live on each month to have an ok lifestyle? I'll probably also look for a job teaching English for 10 hours a week.
Any advice at all will be much appreciated. Gracias!

hey hows it going,im in the same situation as yourself from ireland and thinking of moving over for a while to do the same...have you had any luck ? let me know...

Hi Guys!
I was in your shoes a year ago, and I have moved in Buenos Aires and LOVE IT. DO IT!!!!!!! and please contact me with any questions about living here...spanish classes, volunteer opportunities and anything else! you can email me at [email protected]

suerte!!!

Are you wealthy? this will determine who you should be listening to for advice. those with fulltime maids, dollar incomes, and multiple rent earning properties will tell you one thing. for my part, my quality of life has sunk like a stone.

"JG" said:
Are you wealthy? this will determine who you should be listening to for advice. those with fulltime maids, dollar incomes, and multiple rent earning properties will tell you one thing. for my part, my quality of life has sunk like a stone.
Hi JG, I certainly wouldn't be considered wealthy in Ireland. And when I move to BA, I definitely won't be in a position to hire a maid - even if I had the money, I wouldn't want one. However, I'm lucky that I own a flat and the money I will get from renting it out will mean that I'll have 3,500 Pesos to live on each month in BA. I also plan on supplementing this with 10 hours of teaching English per week. Any advice is much appreciated - it is useful to hear the good and bad stories so that I make this move with my eyes wide opened.I'll be giving up a good job here in Ireland. However, if by moving to BA if I can become fluent in Spanish after a year and if I enjoy the lifestyle, then I feel it will be worth it. You mentioned that your quality of life has "sunk like a stone". What are you working at in BA?

I am an Irish girl living in BA. There is so many good things about living here, the food is tasty (I love the stuff from the bakeries), the people are so helpful (to me anyway) and the weather is very different to home. BUT it is also hard here. You won't save any money here so make sure you have a return ticket home. When visiting before I came with Euros so everything was so cheap for me. But living here and making pesos you realise that it things are pricey enough. I teach a couple of English classes and it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be to find a job.Now if you come to experience a new life, learn spanish and know you are not going to make money then what have you got to lose. I am so glad I came here, it has been a learning experience that I wouldn't have gotten at home. It has opened my eyes. On saying that I am returning home in a month after 9 months here. As much as I loved it here I am ready to go home and work. A couple of English classes isn't enough for me anymore. I never thought I would say this but I miss working! I am ready to eat other food beside pizza, pasta and beef. Don't get me wrong I love it and I would eat anything but I can't wait to go for an Indian. If you have any other questions ask away. People here can come across as been a bit harsh but overall I find their input really good. And you can send me an email and I will tell you what I can. Maeve

"JG" said:
Why?
What does stop you to find a better place?

Do you have a friend to live with/would you rent an apt? 3500 pesos a month is going to be tough especially if you are going to rent a furnished apt. Keep in mind, furnished places are usually going to run btwn 900-1200 USD (or 2700-3600 pesos). If you rent unfurnished, it's much cheaper but you will need a guarantia and to furnish it (and furniture is expensive here.
Getting jobs teaching English is competitive & doesn't pay well - I wouldn't plan on that as steady income.
Food costs are rising, inflation is a serious issue, health care costs have gone up about 20% in the last year, etc, etc.
Bs As is still affordable compared to the rest of the world but it's not a bargain anymore.

Hi,Well I was planning on sharing an apartment. From what I've researched, it's possible to find a nice shared apartment in Palermo for 850 Pesos/month. Does this sound right?
Gracias!

"MrBart" said:
Hi,
Well I was planning on sharing an apartment. From what I've researched, it's possible to find a nice shared apartment in Palermo for 850 Pesos/month. Does this sound right?

Gracias!
If you share with 4 or 5 people it is, but you would have a pretty sucky life

Back