Moving to BA - a few questions

Yes, MrBart, you are correct. You can find that price for a room in a shared apartment. Not much less and definitely more, but the answer is yes. Just for some "wiggle room," I would budget 1000 pesos/month for a nice room in Palermo.

Wow - really? You can still find shares that cheaply? That's great. Well, if that's the case, then I'm sure you can live on 2000 pesos a month and have money for dinners/drinks/whatever.

"citygirl" said:
Wow - really? You can still find shares that cheaply? That's great. Well, if that's the case, then I'm sure you can live on 2000 pesos a month and have money for dinners/drinks/whatever.
I don't want to give anyone the wrong idea that that price is incredibly easy to find - only that I know it's possible taking into consideration what I pay and what some friends pay.

I know shared houses that rent out rooms for 1,000 pesos a month in Monserrat, but Palermo for something decent I reckon it's more like 1,200. It's a good way to meet people though when you first arrive in BA, rather than renting a flat.

If you're looking to share an appartment, this is a nice way to find some bargains:
http://www.compartodepto.com/.
Also I wouldn't limit my choices to Palermo. There are better deals in neighbourhoods such as Caballito, Villa Crespo and Colegiales

yes, but i would also suggest belgrano as an ideal alternative. it's a lovely family orientated neighbourhood, above all safe, as there are people walking their dogs late at night so there's always people about, and it's probably a more bonafide porteno climate than being based in say, palermo viejo, hollywood or any of those tourist hot spots. the argentine party hard and late, and as belgrano (especially if you find somewhere a few blocks from the main avenue cabildo) is only a hop skip and a jump away from the main drag strip of palermo 'glitz' you will have the best of both worlds. you will also probably save money in the process as those coming from abroad are more inclined to plump for the areas the guide books suggest or go by friend's recommendations. i am moving in november, and, although i have the advantage of dual nationality, and despite loving palermo for going out, would never dream of renting anything around there, both from a price and a noise perspective.
te deseo suerte con la busqueda!

van

If you are planning to bring your belongings with you and need to hire a moving company, I would NOT recommend Buenos Aires International. I did not have a good experience with them. They have the whole courteous and helpful shtick going on, but they lie through their teeth and will come up with any bogus reason to charge you more than what they quoted you.

I know this post is a bit old so maybe you´ve already moved, but I just wanted to put in my opinion.
I´ve been living here for a year and a half teaching English, and I mean ONLY teaching English, I don´t have much savings. I can tell you it is possible to live on as little as 1200 pesos a month, which I have done, but it is not recommended... ;)
Therefore I reckon that on 3500 pesos you should be quite comfortable. I currently live on around 1400, but I have a flat with my boyfriend (who is from here) so I pay 500 pesos a month for rent. I´ve rented rooms in many shared apartments or houses, and you can find rooms as cheap as 700 pesos a month...which are not recommended, since there is usually SOMETHING wrong with them if they are that cheap. Go for one around 1000 pesos a month, since you can affordit. You will be so much more comfortable. Also, for just a little more, maybe 1500 a month, you could probably find a temporary rental furnished studio apartment, if you prefer to live alone. But the house share is a fantastic idea to practice the language and to meet people and get advice about the city, etc.
As for teaching English, it is not hard to find work, but it depends on many factors. Do you have any certifications or qualifications? If so, you will find more offers than you can handle. If not you´ll find work anyway, but perhaps somewhat less easily. Be prepared to make no more than 25 pesos an hour if you work for an institute, and if you want to teach private classes, you can probably charge betwen 30 and 40 depending on your experience. It´s not a lot of money - but if you´re living on the rent of your flat, you´ll be very comfortable and you´ll enjoy your time here. Teaching English is a lot of fun if you don´t have the stress of money to ruin it!!
My email is [email protected] if you have any questions feel free!! I hope you end up coming - it will be an unfortgettable experience, for sure!

Hi,
am also new to this website (and also from Ireland!). Hoping to move here in February 09 to live and work for about 8 months.
I orignally work in the NGO sector but without fluent Spanish (it´s okay, and getting better) am not sure what kind of work I can get here. Am just interested to hear from anyone who has time, what kind of work you are doing... and maybe if any of you are doing any volunterring, how is that going?
Thank you!
Lara

You should be fine in moving here. It seems like inflation is going through the roof. If you live just outside the city you can find things are cheaper. Another country to check out would be Peru.

Back