Moving to BA in October to Teach English

blumaa

Registered
Hi! I am moving to BA in October. I am just going to give it a shot. I have never been there before but I did live in Spain for two years. I have certificate in Teaching English as a Foreign Language and two years of experience teaching all ages. My long term goal is to get a job in a high school or university, and teach my own class. But I am more than willing to start out at a private institute or academy. Does anyone have any practical advice specifically related to teaching and/or acquiring a job in the education field? Thanks in advance!

Aaron

You'll earn around $30 pesos per hour teaching English in a private institution, and they will probably give you around five classes per day. To live here you need to earn a minimum of $4,000 pesos per month. Anyone who learns less than that usually lives with their parents. Getting a job in a high school or a university is not easy and high school teachers get paid very little. A friend of mine is a high school teacher and is practically starving. No joke. I suggest making sure you have a decent job before you get here or it could be rough. Building up enough private students can take a very long time and in the meantime you'll need something more stable. Good luck.

Back