Moving to BA

Amy

Registered
Hi there,

I'm not yet living in ARgentina, but it's my plan to move there in a year.

I'm from Australia and will be hoping to find a job to start up there once I arrive, probably November/DEcember next year.

Any tips, advice on where to find employment, initial accommodation etc will be greatly appreciated!!!

Cheers,

Amy

Amy

I have been living in Argentina for little over 3 months and can answer any questions that you have. What kind of Visa are you going to have when you come here? That will determine what kind of jobs you can look for since people on a tourist VISA are not allowed to work from what I have heard.

John

I am always interested in people who say they are going to Argentina for work. If you just show up on a tourist visa you aren't allowed to work legally. More than that why would anyone move there for this purpose. The pay scale is a fraction of what you could earn at home and the cost of living(particularly a year from now) could well be more than at home. To make ends meet your standard of living would have to take a big hit, not a prospect most people would look forward to and this assumes you will be able to find work.

Of course if you are just planning on coming for a few months and want to earn extra cash to offset some of your expenses this is a bit different. Some people there say you can earn extra money teaching English to others etc. I've never actually met anybody that was actually doing this.

Perhaps someone who arrived in Argentina on a tourist visa who went on to live there permanently and is gainfully employed can write in.

I moved to BsAs 5 weeks ago to work for a consulting firm, but I arrived on a tourist visa with the idea that work would initiate the work permit. From what I understand, they have to put together an application, including police records from the US and copy of your birth certificate. Once all the material is together, they submit it to the immigration office and I believe you get a temporary DNI number (equivalent to the SSN). I'm not sure how long it takes or what happens after that, but the DNI is important to have in order to receive medical insurance, open up a local bank account, etc. I'd be happy to update as the process unfolds.

You can get medical insurance without a DNI. However you can't get a bank account, driving license, and a lot of other services. Some phone companies don't even want to give you a cellular without a DNI.

New Zealand has a Working Holiday Visa programme with Argentina -- perhaps Australia does as well? That's how one of my friends was able to find employment here. May be worth investigating.

You can drive on an international drivers license for a while and any prepaid cell phone company will take you without a DNI. I lived there for a year and hope to return soon, I was able to get all utilities in my name no questions asked and simply renewed my visa every 3 months. Although now I wish I would have applied for my DNI earlier, I did have a company offer to help the process, theres another permit you have to have to work but as long as youre in the process of getting a DNI most companies will hire you. I went to several interviews with my friend who wanted to teach english in actual schools there and they told her the same thing.

staygolden said:
You can drive on an international drivers license for a while .

What is an International Driver's License & how do I get one?

You can one from the Automotive clubs.
In Australia: International Driving Permit - Australian Automobile Association
In the US go the AAA.
You have to take a passport size photo.
For cellphone you have to have a DNI unless you get a cellphone then load up prepaid cards on it.
I got a job without having a work visa at first. I had to have CUIL. This depends on your occupation.
Good Luck

criswkh said:
You can one from the Automotive clubs.
In Australia: International Driving Permit - Australian Automobile Association
In the US go the AAA.
You have to take a passport size photo.
For cellphone you have to have a DNI unless you get a cellphone then load up prepaid cards on it.
I got a job without having a work visa at first. I had to have CUIL. This depends on your occupation.
Good Luck

Can you get one here? Is an international driver's license really necessary? Unfortuneately I really don't see myself going to US or Australia any time soon....

[FONT=&quot]Driving in Argentina[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Tourists can rent a car with their valid state's drivers license. Americans living, studying or working in Argentina can get an Argentine drivers license at the following location:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Dirección de Habilitación de Conductores de Vehículos
Sección Licencias
Av. Roca 5252, Villa Lugano
Buenos Aires[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Documents required:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- US passport
- US driver’s license
- Argentine D.N.I.
- Certificate of domicile within the Federal Capital[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For hours of operation and more information call 0800-999-2727.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] You can try to contact:
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Argentine Automobile Club, Av. Libertador 1850, 1112 Capital Federal, telephone (011) (54)(11) 4802-6061[/FONT]

I am not sure on the rules. You can call the Autoclub. Some country's won't let you get a IDL unless you can prove you are a resident.

Back