Moving to Barracas!

Many folks on this site think anywhere south of avenida Córdoba is icky, which explains the radio silence. I liked parts of Barracas but only went there a bit for work and a few doctors appointments. Can't really help you out with specifics.

Haha I know it but having lived various places including 2 blocks from Plaza Miserere I think I'm pretty streetwise. I'm actually re excited to get out of the touristy locales!

I feel partially responsible because I was the first to respond to your original question and may have set a rather snarky mood. As for BigDaddy, I have no idea, I just went with it. So sorry to tease you. I know people who have lived in Barracas and really like it. I'm sure you'll have a good time! And if you've lived near Plaza Once, then you definitely know what you're doing.

Hey don't worry tis all good fun! Yeah as I say it's been more than 4 years now, and taking this place, I am saving myself a LOT of money. Well I guess we shall see if it's worth it!

RachinBA said:
well, i would, but im a little worried now! ok well,say vieytes y california.

Hi, I´m a kind of a neighbour indeed, I live by Parque Patricios. I think Barracas is the most antique and original remaining part of the city, I love it. It is not like living in Palermo, but I bet you will be very much respected by local ones. Of course it is cheaper living there and you have a couple of good and popular restaurants. Not many buses by Vieytes avenue, and no subway at all unless you get to Constitucion which is very close. Walking every corner of Barracas is magic for me, however, have in mind I´m argentinean myself and have lived in several districts such as La Boca, so you can guess I feel no fear at all regarding those places. Hope you have a good experience, regards.

Hi Rachel.
I've been living in Barracas for a few years now and I really like it here! What could I tell you about the neighborhood... to start with the important, food:

There's a very good fish shop "El Delfin" on Azara 99 and Montes de Oca 946. Best butcher is San Nicolas (corner Patricios and Pi y Margall). Best Pasta: La Bologna (Patricios al 1800) a very old pasta fabric with the best raviolis in town!!

Bars - go to San Telmo :)

Let me know If I can help you with some more info!

Cheers,
Gabriela

RachinBA said:
hey guys. So I have just found a lovely new room and I am moving at the end of the month to Barracas! (Hurrah, escaping my cokehead roommate) Been 4 years in BA and i have lived in San Telmo, Almagro, Centro, Villa Crespo, Once, Palermo...
I am excited! I think Barracas has been mentioned a bit on here...any new neighbours for me? Advice, handy tips? Cheers!

Hey! well first of all I am argentinian and I live in Barracas so welcome to the neighborhood! please let me know if you need some information about the place! Enjoy! :D

Cheers,
Ana.

stereoshit- actually I thought the bus access was pretty decent, you have the 12, 100 and something else (possibly the 95 I can't remember) a block from where I will be. I took advice from previous posts here and checked out the area at night and during the day. Actually I felt fine and there is a big presence from the prefectura. Took a walk on Saturday afternoon and we came across Pasaje Lanin, never heard of it before, how pretty!
Went for a beer by Plaza Colombia. I don't know, I just felt comfortable and it was nice to be away from the constant crowds and high rise of the centro. We were heading to Belgrano after and as the 60 goes down las Ocas it was perfect....almost, if they hadn't been on strike :)

Rachel,

I live in Barracas and lived in Recoleta and Palermo before and this is by far my favourite neighbourhood!
The bus access is pretty decent indeed. The 12, 100, 17, 102 and 39 which mostly take you anywhere.
The area is changing a lot, getting better within time!
Don´t miss out on CMD Centro Metropolitano de Diseño with great exhibitions and activities daily.

Quick update- I moved on Tuesday and so far I'm loving it. The only downside so far is the travel time to and from work. I haven't explored the neighbourhood too thoroughly yet but feel safe there. It's so much nicer here without being surrounded by high rises.

Back