moving to Mendoza

I am currently selling all my wordly possessions and planning on moving to Mendoza Argentina.

I have so many questions and need to know where to go for answers. What do I need to do about filing tax forms in the U.S.

I plan on having my checking and saving account in the U.S. even while living in ARgentina. Is this feasible?

When I traveled, I just used my ATM card but there were fees associated with that. Do I open up a checking account in Argentina in addition to my accounts in the U.S. so I don-t have to pay so many ATM withdrawal fees?

I plan on keeping my Mastercard from the U.S. Is this feasible if I do "on line banking.?"

What do I need to do about filing tax forms in the U.S.

Assuming you are a USA citizen you are supposed to pay taxes on your worldwide income. You can download tax forms from the IRS website fill them up and mail them to processing center in the States. Depending on your situation you may be eligible for 80k foreign income exclusion. Please, refer to IRS publication 54 for details.

I plan on having my checking and saving account in the U.S. even while living in Argentina. Is this feasible?
Absolutely. However many banks require their clients to have a valid USA mailing address. You can use address of your friend or you can arrange with a mail forwarding agency to resend your mail to Argentina and use their address for your banking.

When I traveled, I just used my ATM card but there were fees associated with that. Do I open up a checking account in Argentina in >addition to my accounts in the U.S. so I don-t have to pay so many ATM withdrawal fees?

Argentine banks do not charge fees for ATM withdrawals if you use a debit card from outside of the country. There is a hidden currency exchange fee (ATMs give out only pesos to non-clients) that varies from bank to bank, but generally it is negligible. If your bank in USA charges you for withdrawals from foreign ATMs, you should consider to open a different checking account in a bank that does not do it. Many internet banks do not impose this charge since they don't have own ATMs. From my personal experience I can recommend StateFarm Bank and NetBank. I have heard many good things about USAA bank but it is more directed towards providing services for military personnel overseas. You can also investigate checking accounts from many US banks at BankRate website to find the one that better suits your needs.

I plan on keeping my Mastercard from the U.S. Is this feasible if I do "on line banking.?
If you mean whether it is possible to pay local bills by a credit card, then the answer is no. But there are several third party payment processors, most notably Pago Facil that have terminals in grocery stores and pharmacies in addition to their own payment centers in many places. They accept cash. And you can get cash from ATMs.

Igor.

I f you live abroad you must pay tax on all capital gains and on EARNED income over 84,000 USD or so (it goes up a little every year).

You CAN use American credit cards to pay local bills if ou sign up for debito automatico accounts, i.e. monthly bills are autmatically charged to your US credit card, converted to pesos and then you must pay from US funds.

Hi Nina,
Why Mendoza?My father lives there and is trying to get us to move,I am all for it...but he's my dad and working for family can be awful(he's great but he's MY dad so I will always be treated as an 11year old child!(I'm 42)I'd love to hear from you.You can reply here or to my email
[email protected]
Thanks autumn

I plan on keeping my Mastercard from the U.S. Is this feasible if I do "on line banking.?
If you mean whether it is possible to pay local bills by a credit card, then the answer is no. But there are several third party payment processors, most notably Pago Facil that have terminals in grocery stores and pharmacies in addition to their own payment centers in many places. They accept cash. And you can get cash from ATMs.

YES, YOU CAN PAY SOME LOCAL BILLS BY USING A U.S. CREDIT CARD - AMERICAN EXPRESS, VISA AND MASTERCARD. THIS AUTOMATED THIRD PARTY PAYMENT SERVICE IS CALLED PAGOPHONE {4809-6000}. YOU CAN FIND THIS INFO ON THE BACK OF BILLS FOR THE FOLLOWING SERVICES -

Telecom and Telefonica {Telephone}, Aguas Argentinas {Water}, Edesur {Electricity}, Cablevision and Multicanal {Cable}, Fibertel and Speedy {Internet} and others.

IT IS ALSO CONVENIENT BECAUSE YOU CAN CALL THE SERVICE FROM ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD. BUT YOU MUST HAVE CERTAIN INFO FROM YOUR STATEMENT FOR THE SYSTEM TO ACCESS YOUR ACCOUNT AND CURRENT AMOUNT DUE.

I PREFER NOT TO SIGN UP FOR AUTO DEBIT. IF YOU ARE DISPUTING A CHARGE, IT CAN BE A COMPLEX AND TIME-CONSUMING TRANSACTION. IN THE MEANTIME, THE VENDOR KEEPS CHARGING YOUR ACCOUNT.

I agree with Nina why why??? I spent about a week, I know not enuf to make an opinion, but believe me there are lots of other places better than Mendoza. There is nothing there, and when they get the dust storm is horrible.
I don't know what you are looking for, but I would check an adjoining town called San Rafael I think, wow you wouldn't believe it, very modern clean, but a bit isolated is toward Las Lenas ski area, but not far from Mendoza.
You may also check Cordoba .

Back