Mujica calls Argentines “swindlers”

Mujica is ridiculed by many Uruguayans, who are ashamed of his appearance and his language.

As to swindlers, he should know. He passes himself off as a poor farmer, using jam jars as drinking glasses, but has three powerful tractors at his farm. To my certain knowledge, worth at least thirty-five thousand dollars apiece.

I saw a picture of those tractors after buying a small basic one, and was amazed at the capital he had in those monster machines, complete with air-conditioned cabs.

Are you surprised that an old man who worked his entire life has some assets?

Are you surprised that an old man who worked his entire life has some assets?

Like Fidel Castro who had billions while his people starved - The hipocrisy of people never ceases to amaze me

If we can all take a break from debating whether politicians are hypocrites (they often are), whether Mujica is (who knows?), whether Uruguay is expensive (it is), and whether owning three $30K machines on a farm attests to large wealth (it does not) -

Can it be mentioned that the quality of MercoPress’ writing has gone down dramatically?

The article is barely coherent. With frequent slips into total incoherence.

“Despite his double game, with and against Argentina, he was publicly humiliated by then president Cristina Kirchner on several occasions for his life style and his interpretation of economic development trying to ignore consumerism.”
Can anyone follow the logic here? What does this even mean?

I mean for an English-language publication, it’s pretty crappy English. Even with fluent enough Spanish to often figure out what was meant to have been said, it’s still barely possible to follow.

Last edited:
El Pepe spent about 15 years in jail for his" terrorist" actions while an active leader of the armed guerrilla Group Tupamaros....! Is he the Mandela of Uruguay..?

I think when El Pepe speaks he often lacks understanding before he speaks. Suck as when he says Argentinian business men are tax evaders. Does he understand it is not possible to operate a business in white in Argentina and thus most businesses have to practice some level of tax evasion just to survive? He may sound wonderful to many but for me he is not well educated nor one who does his due diligence before making blanket statements.

I'm surprised at his posing as "poor".

People today are very susceptible to marketing. His poor act convinces those who believe that the divine left will take them out of poverty while those they look up to loot billions from the pockets of us all.

Last edited:
On the question of the cost of things in Uruguay, I've often fantasized about starting a Trader Joe-style business in Montevideo and thereby becoming a nationally famous and beloved figure.

The tractors are actually in his wife's name. (I should admit, I own a tractor- a 1984 2 cylinder Yanmar diesel that amasses a mighty 15hp- yes I am one of the global elite. I also own a forklift. Eat your heart out, Argentine billionaires.)

While Mujica spent 14 years in prison, being tortured, and secretly amassing a fleet of 3 used tractors, excellent non-swindler Macri suffered thru the military dictatorship working hard, mysteriously growing the family fortune from 7 companies to 47 by the end, and then earned the right to be given the Correo, which he promptly took from debt free to owing $900 million.
Thats how an honest businessman does it Pepe!
Take a lesson!.

You guys crack me up.
Argentine ogliarchs are, indeed, swindlers and tax cheats, and Mujica is not rich.
But hey, what do I know- I OWN A TRACTOR!

Back