Mujica calls Argentines “swindlers”

In Uruguay, eight years ago, the smallest John Deere field tractor was $27,000. This was the basic, no cab, no AC unit. The same exact price plus freight than in the USA, as agricultural machinery does not pay import taxes in Uruguay.

Rocha and San Carlos are part of the Jose Ignacio - Punta del Este rich vacation area. And Route 11 through Canelones is the alternative way to get from Argentina to Punta del Este, bypassing Montevideo. All that is a tourist's Uruguay.

But you are right, there are tractors everywhere - it is an agricultural country. Alas, poor country people buy used beat up tractors, not the latest model huge ones I saw in Mujica's farm.

As to Juan Lacaze, remember the two main factories that closed down, throwing the whole town on welfare?

Last edited:
Has he ever said that he's poor?
He's called 'frugal', not poor. And not by himself. Everyone already knows that poor people don't own decently sized farms.

But you believe in confiscating land holdings of people but its ok for left wing thinking people like Fidel Castro and now Mujica to have billions in the case of Castro and millions in the case of Mujica . If he really cared for his people he would provide food kitchens for the most needy . The cost to run just one of these would be less than a few thousand a month and he could help hundreds of people get a decent meal once a week at least .

A few years ago he would have recieved 1 million dollars for his vw beetle. Did he donate some of this money to the poor like he said he would ?

Intelligent people can see through this poor charade that he projects and the lack of actions on his part to better the lives of the uruguayan working class who are trapped by low wages and usa prices -

Last edited:
But you believe in confiscating land holdings of people but its ok for left wing thinking people like Fidel Castro and now Mujica to have billions in the case of Castro and millions in the case of Mujica . If he really cared for his people he would provide food kitchens for the most needy . The cost to run just one of these would be less than a few thousand a month and he could help hundreds of people get a decent meal once a week at least .

A few years ago he recieved 1 million dollars for his vw beetle. Did he donate some of this money to the poor?

Intelligent people can see through this poor charade that he projects and the lack of actions on his part to better the lives of the uruguayan working class who are trapped by low wages and usa prices -

What on earth are you even talking about? Uruguay greatly improved under his tenure, especially for the working class you're talking about. And the article you linked notes he never sold his beetle. You're going senile mate, I can't believe you seriously believe having a farm, a couple of tractors and a 1960s VW beetle makes someone a 'billionaire'.

Honestly this is just ludicrous, the irrational hate seeps through your pores. The 84 year old man who's worth a fairly modest middle class couple hundred thousand in assets is extremely dishonorable for not living in a dumpster according you. Crazy.

The 84 year old man who's worth a fairly modest middle class couple hundred thousand in assets ....

In Uruguay, a member of the "fairly modest middle class" would be lucky to have a grand total of thirty thousand dollars in assets.

Mujica is no billionaire but he's not poor of frugal, either.

Last edited:
Ñ
What on earth are you even talking about? Uruguay greatly improved under his tenure, especially for the working class you're talking about. And the article you linked notes he never sold his beetle. You're going senile mate, I can't believe you seriously believe having a farm, a couple of tractors and a 1960s VW beetle makes someone a 'billionaire'.

Honestly this is just ludicrous, the irrational hate seeps through your pores. The 84 year old man who's worth a fairly modest middle class couple hundred thousand in assets is extremely dishonorable for not living in a dumpster according you. Crazy.

I do not see this great improvement that you mention in Uruguay working clases. They are one of the most unhappiest working class people in South América . Montevideo is a city that has imho a very depressing energy and I cannot understand the crazy real estate prices in a good neighbourhood there . Uruguayans have emigrated more than any other country up to recently to Australia and Spain . The economic system in Uruguay is not to be envied at all as there is a very wealthy class and the rest a battered working class who have to work very long hours to buy the bare minimum .

Regarding the VW beetle why did he not sell it for one million and help the poor like he said he would . Obviously his words never match his actions and for this reason I find this wild support of him from gullible people deplorable .

Regarding hate remember your posts about confiscating peoples properties in Argentina . This is a bit rich now that you are defending another real estate millionaire because he says he is for the working class when most people of the working class there want to emigrate to Australia , or New Zealand . Uruguay is a fiscal paradise for the very very rich open your eyes !

In Uruguay, a member of the "fairly modest middle class" would be lucky to have a grand total of thirty thousand dollars in assets.

Mujica is no billionaire but he's not poor of frugal, either.

'Middle class' doesn't mean median. Anyone who owns something as simple as a house already owns more than a 'grand total of thirty thousand dollars in assets.' Frugal doesn't mean poor, it just means someone who doesn't like to spend money.

Far too many senile fellows on here.

I look at the same basic tractor used in Uruguay- a model year 2000 Ford 8970, a 240 hp tractor- and its $5000 used. Right here on Mercado Libre.
vehiculo.mercadolibre.com.uy/MLU-429457448-tractor-agricola-usado-ford-8970-240-hp-muy-sano-_JM#position=5&type=item&tracking_id=34971338-3873-4e93-bfb2-4080a425d395

Almost exactly the same tractor in the USA- $47,000 USD.

Most of the used tractors I can find on mercado libre Uruguay are similarly dirt cheap compared to US prices. I dont know exactly what models Mujica's wife owns, but my guess is she paid a third or less what US farmers would pay.

I look at the same basic tractor used in Uruguay- a model year 2000 Ford 8970, a 240 hp tractor- and its $5000 used. Right here on Mercado Libre.
vehiculo.mercadolibre.com.uy/MLU-429457448-tractor-agricola-usado-ford-8970-240-hp-muy-sano-_JM#position=5&type=item&tracking_id=34971338-3873-4e93-bfb2-4080a425d395

Almost exactly the same tractor in the USA- $47,000 USD.

Most of the used tractors I can find on mercado libre Uruguay are similarly dirt cheap compared to US prices. I dont know exactly what models Mujica's wife owns, but my guess is she paid a third or less what US farmers would pay.

I haven't looked at tractor prices lately, and can only speak from personal knowledge. I shopped for a tractor in 2011, and those are the prices I quoted.

As a final note, I have lived in rural Uruguay for over fifteen years, and only speak from what I see.

My Uruguayan friends and neighbors view Mujica as a picturesque old man, but are ashamed of his appearance and his speeches. They consider him uncouth, undignified, and not worthy of representing Uruguay.

Now, I bow out of the thread. A resident's Uruguay and a tourist's Uruguay are two entirely different countries. No sense in going on.

Last edited:
Ventanilla, I don't share Perry's great dislike of Mujica, but you need to learn reading comprehension if you are going to be so vicious in your criticisms. Perry said millions for Mujica and billions for Castro. Not billions for Mujica.

Genuine question - Did Uruguay, especially for the working class, greatly improve during his tenure? How so? Any statistics you can post?

Back