"must See" Art Shows In Buenos Aires In 2017

"Fortabat has maybe 3 or 4 founder portraits (one by Warhole) and I believe all of them are in the beginning of the exhibit. Most of the rest of the art are classic Argentine art. I think a great collection, perhaps the best in Buenos Aires."

There is an importnt Turner in the collection but the collection is far from the most important in the city. The Museum of Fine Arts has a lot more of first rate European art along with some Argentine classics.

Whereas Fortabat has a lot more of first rate Argentine art along with some European classics.

Bottom line.....go to and enjoy both.

T/

The Fortabat collection is definitely worth seeing.
The English language tour of the Museum of Fine Arts, incidentally, focuses entirely on Argentine art. I found it very interesting.

Didn't know there was an English language tour. Do you know when it's given?

T/

Check the website of the museum. The guide told me that the English tour always focuses entirely on Argentine art. I found it very interesting. Apparently the Spanish language tour covers mostly European art. I haven't taken that one yet.

By the way, don't forget the MALBA museum.

one great thing about art- its completely subjective.
there is no "right" thing to like.
we all get to like whatever we want.

I went to see the picasso show, and it really didnt move me.
I have seen a lot of his work, and am not his biggest fan.

That said, its a good show, with important Picassos in it, and, if you like him, go see it.
While there, at Mamba, you should also check out the show of Berni works on paper- its actually in a similar vein to picasso.

on the other hand, I loved the now closed show of Malevich at PROA. (it ended in December)

in general, there are a LOT of good shows of all types of work here in Buenos Aires in an average year- international as well as local.

I went to MAMBA to see the Antonio Berni and Pablo Picasso exhibitions today. I don't know why but it took me 18 years to visit this incredible museum, and there is no admission charge on Tuesday. The presentations are excellent, and all the information describing the artists and their works is done in English. Berni's portraits were the highlight for me. Imagine the expense and security required for shipment of the Picassos from Paris to Buenos Aires.

These exhibitions are not to be missed if you appreciate fine art.

Jantango, you are spot on about those shows. Both are absolutely great.

Two more shows that are really worth seeing. MALBA has a Brazilian show. And the Art Museum in Tigre, which is a work of art on its own has a show of Hernan Dompe, a sculpture from Cordaba. Mostly metal work and totally excellent.

T/

I went to see the shows at Macba and Mamba this week- and liked them.

The Macba show is Eduardo MacEntyre, an argentine artist who was entranced with geometry. Very psychedelic. Its up until March. He just died a few years ago, in his mid 80s, and was making trippy stuff til the very end.

There were two shows at Mamba I enjoyed- the Sergio Avella show, which is up thru March, was interesting- his art ranges from small geometric paintings to huge light installations, with lots of leather flags along with videos, posters, and textiles. He was an important figure in Porteno art for two decades, and was the installation designer at Proa for years. A lot of interesting history, even a picture of him cutting Charly Garcia's hair, when he was doing hair and makeup for a Mosquera movie.

Then, there is the Tomas Saraceno show- a darkened room, full of dramatically lit spider webs. Saraceno is pretty well known worldwide, with installations at places like the Met in NYC. In this piece, he built environments for the spiders to build within, directing them subtly. Its otherworldly, and transfixing. Should be open another month or so. The spiders are not there, only their work. They were allowed to build, without visitors, for a few months, then they were evicted. No word as to whether they were peacefully relocated or not, but no creepy spiders, just beautiful webs.

I also went recently to the current Mexican art show at Malba. Mexico Moderno. There are a lot of great pieces in it, but the curation is a bit mysterious to me- I dont understand the reason for the division into four seemingly overlapping groups. Many of the pieces could have been dropped into three or more of the groups, and still it would have made as much sense. Too much intellectualization of the history, too many curators with thesis' to prove, when the work will stand on its own just fine.

Back