My Customs Experience

Sleuth

Registered
You have to love Argentina... We came through customs on Wednesday with seven suitcases and a large box. As there were three of us, we had $900 in exemptions, so we already filled out the tax forms to declare the "larger electronic items." We waited in a longer than usual line and by the time we got to the front, you could see the employees were bored and tired. The guy at our machine was texting on his phone, talking to co-workers, etc. Then as we approached, he started working the two machines side by side, because the other woman had to deal with someone else.

We started placing our bags on the conveyor belt, and realized he could have cared less. We "accidentally" forgot to put my backpack and a carry on through the scanner, walked around to the other side, picked up our bags and walked out. They never even asked for our forms. We even put a sound bar, wireless router, HP TouchPad, Vonage modem, tea kettle, and the box full of Ikea items through the x-ray machine.

Ahhh... sometimes the inefficiencies here work in your favor...

The last time I came through airport customs was a while ago, but something similar. We had a brand new laptop and a phone/fax in our bags and two kids in our arms (a toddler and a little baby). We walked up to the machines and even before my husband started taking the bags off the trolley the guy waved us on. Obviously assuming that all of our stuff would be for the kids and seeing that our hands were full, he didn't want us to even go through the bother putting bags through the xray machines!

I just hate waiting in the line sometime it takes an hour!! My husband flies once a month to Europe and after 14 hours in the plane is a nightmare! I once came back from the US with lots of electronics and toys worth $4000 US and they didnt event ask me to scan them, I was with my daughter and 2 carts with 4 suitcases plus hang luggage they just let me go

This was the first time we went through the new international terminal and I have to say it was a mess. Our flight from NYC was delayed and we got in right after the Miami flight arrived. They were still waiting for their baggage, and originally they placed the NYC flight on the same baggage claim belt. (there are only two) The conveyor belt was by far the slowest moving thing I had ever seen.

I hope this is a temporary measure because we spent another couple of hours getting out of there.

You gotta time it! Dont be one of the first ones in line cause they will be on guard. Dont be one of the last ones cause they might look you more carefully.Try to be in about 2/3rds of the line, be chatty with whoever you are with, dont look the guy on the eye and casually "forget" to put your backback on the conveyor. Works almost every time!

julicar12 said:
You gotta time it! Dont be one of the first ones in line cause they will be on guard. Dont be one of the last ones cause they might look you more carefully.Try to be in about 2/3rds of the line, be chatty with whoever you are with, dont look the guy on the eye and casually "forget" to put your backback on the conveyor. Works almost every time!

Excellent advice, do the same at Retiro's post office . Go near the close hour . . Don't rush , let the people in front and behind of you first , usually they give your stuff unchecked...four computers can't deal with all the work and they want to go home.

I had the same experience at EZE a couple of weeks ago coming back from UK.
Too many flights (3, ffs!) arrived at the same time and by the time I got to customs 2 hours after waiting in line, the staff seemed completely fazed and I breezed through with my booty!
I hope afip don't read this forum lol.

Back