My daughter in BA

benhere

Registered
I live in the states but my daughter recently moved to BA with her mother. I'm posting this on her behalf.

She's 14, very intelligent but shy, knows Spanish better than she realizes. And she's feeling isolated. She was in BA only a month before school finished so she hasn't had the chance to make many social connections.

I've tried to encourage her to seek out gatherings of other teens in her situation but she holds back and is afraid to make the effort. So that's why I'm posting here.

Can anybody recommend groups or organizations geared toward expat teens? I know there must be socials or gatherings in town that she would enjoy but I'm having trouble tracking them down on my own.

Thanks so much.

I dont know in which area of Buenos Aires is your daughter living, but there is a good option in Palermo, at a nice club, family oriented, with sport activities specifically for kids from 13 to 16 y/o.

Check it out:
http://www.clubdeamigos.org.ar/general/actividadesdeportivas_chicos_detalle.asp?id=5

It is not specific for expat teens, but many of the teens going there speak some English, and it will be a great opportunity for your daughter to improve her Spanish skills.

My suggestion is that your daughter finds a class that she would like to pursue. Whether it is a musical instrument, dancing, painting, martial arts or photography. There are thousands offered here in the windows of shops or gyms you will find signs for classes. Sign up for the classes and she will start meeting people with similar interests as hers. And before she knows it she will have more friends than she knows what to do with.

If she is open to non-expat activities, my eldest daughter joined the local Girl Guides (associated with the worldwide Girl Scout movement) as soon as we arrived in July. She didn't speak a word of Spanish and the group was 100% Argentinean girls with only two who spoke some English. 5 months later, my daughter speaks perfect Spanish almost entirely as a result of this group and has made some remarkable friendships while doing some wonderful charitable work and going on several camping trips.

http://argentina.wagggsworld.org/es/home

These are great replies and ideas. My daughter lives on Borges so she is quite close to Club de Amigos. She's expressed an interest in starting tennis and also did quite a bit of singing in Middle School so the classes angle makes a lot of sense. I think her mother would love the idea of getting involved with the Girl Guides. All great suggestions!

Please keep them coming.

Perhaps she likes to play chess. There are classes for all levels at Club Argentino de Ajedrez, on Paraguay 1858, where she can go by bus or subway.

Roxana said:
Perhaps she likes to play chess. There are classes for all levels at Club Argentino de Ajedrez, on Paraguay 1858, where she can go by bus or subway.

Ooh, that's an idea. Yes, she does like chess (3 years in middle school chess club). I will definitely pass this one along. Thanks!

With the current weather in Buenos Aires (orange alarm) your daughter may go (perhaps with her mother) to a pool next to the river, Punta Carrasco. I havent been there lately, but I remember seeing tons of teenagers having fun there. It is on Costanera Norte, and a taxi from Borges street may cost $10-15. They can also go to a fancy pool at a hotel, but I cant give advice on it.

Back