My New Netbook (Thank You!!!!) But Internet Problems

But I assume you can´t run a computer from the cell phone, right?

You can, if provider allows it. In this case you would be using modem of the cell phone.

But with the plans above you are buying a standalone USB modem. It has a SIM card inside, but it is not a phone. They sell it specifically to provide internet connection for computers.

That also sucks, big time!

Plan B: Find out if your closest neighbor has Fibertel, explain your situation and offer to share the bill (around $200+ to split in two) if said neighbor is wiling to install a wireless router that you'll buy.

Are you anywhere near Alto Palermo? I ask because that´s my neighborhood and that´s what they tell me so I wonder if it´s the same problem. I´ve been without Internet for two months. Think they´ll offer me a refund? Hahahahaha! I do jest, of course!

But it´s all over now. Problem is I keep getting promises and keep waiting. But after yesterday at their office, I´m done. Thanks so much. I´m sorry for all your problems but at least I´m not alone!

I don't live in the city, I'm in the outskirts - Loma Hermosa - and apparently it's a "massive" problem affecting a lot of people. My mother-in-law got her internet back but we are still waiting for ours.

As for the refund.. . it's not unheard of! I had a family member be reimbursed when their work's internet went down for a couple weeks, but I'm not sure if the fact it was a business has anything to do with it. They did have to send a carta de documento, though and get a lawyer involved. You could simply call and ask, though I wouldn't get your hopes up. :p

We used to have a Claro USB thing, and while it does work, it's pretty slow - at least here. Better than nothing, though.

I had a problem a few years back with ARNET; no internet for 2 months (phone worked fine), they sent out 3 technicians, changed the modem twice, all saying different things, the final technician made a 5 minute phone call and got service started working again....

Another possible backup could be using Claro's 4G, the problem is that the coverage is patchy, still, if you can test it on a smart phone & establish that it's reliable enough in your area then the speed may be good enough for light web browsing, whatsapp, some skype & emails etc.

Hi y'all, I'm back again. Seems like I'm never happy doesn't it? After almost 3 months with no internet and a visit to Arnet where even the guard was rude to me, I had Fibertel installed yesterday. I almost might as well not have Internet. It does email with Yahoo fine except I can't send a 6 meg recording to a friend (Yahoo will send up to 20+ megs so it has to be Fibertel) and all day yesterday there were certain web sites it said the browser could not open. This was one of them. It would not even open Wikipedia! It would open my own web site though, along with some others. On my own site I thought at first that the slider was not working (it alternates photos in a slide show effect) but when I let it sit a while, I saw that after a while the slider starts up.

It is 5:57 a.m. right now and it surprised me by opening BAExpats for me. Arnet worked a LOT better--until it didn't work at all. Any suggestions? Who knows when I will be able to get back here--but one way or another, I shall return!

Crema Americana, I didn't see your post a while back. Just to clarify, when I wrote about getting a refund, I was joking.

Where are you located?
Are you sure the operating system (software) is clean, no malware running?
Try connecting to www.speedtest.net and check your bandwidth.

Okay, I don't understand what I am doing but here are the results of the test: ping 33 ms, download speed 12.08 mbs, upload speed 1.02 mbps. I am in Palermo near Bulness and Santa Fe. And no I am not sure of the operating system. I run AVG anti virus. It worked just fine before. But I guess in 3 months things can change. Facebook clams my version of Internet explorer is no longer supported by them. I just got back online yesterday so not sure what all might be wrong.

Arlean, are you using Windows 8 as the operating system on your new Netbook?
I ask because I had a customer come in the other day who has Fibertel and a new laptop with Windows 8.
There are certain pages that simply won't open, such as La Nacion and others. While he was with me we went round the corner to a cafe that has Arnet WiFi and all worked fine.
Came back to shop (where I have Fibertel also) and the problem persisted the same as at his home.
This is not limited to a particular browser either. IE10, Chrome or Firefox.....same result.
He has phoned Fibertel and they agree there is a problem (presumably confined to Win 8/Fibertel????) and say they are working on it.
May I suggest you phone Fibertel again?

Back