My nice things to say about Argentina thread :)

citygirl

Registered
Just a few random experiences that occurred today that served to remind me why I chose to make this my home.

1) Arrived at my regular cafe for lunch and the waiter gave me a kiss hello, asked me how I was and then chatted with me about the news of the neighborhood.

2) I went to buy flowers and the flower guy told me the bouquet I had picked out wasn't the best because it might not fully open and helped me to choose a better one.

3) My Spanish tutor texted me to make sure I was feeling 100% better after having dental surgery last weekend and to see if I needed anything.

4) My dentist called me this morning as well just to make sure I had gotten the prescription he wrote and also to tell me the name of the tango song he wanted me to listen to (to help me learn more lunfardo)

5) I forgot my prescription/insurance card when I went to the pharmacy and the pharmacist (who knows me by now), gave me it anyway and put the discount in as well.

6) The guy I buy fruit from on the corner told me he would be getting some fresh fruit tomorrow so to wait and to come early in the morning and he would hold some for me.

Making a life here is a difficult thing - I'm the first to admit it - but when you become part of your community/neighborhood, it is such a wonderful thing. People will and do go out of their way to help you.

Anyway, I thought it might be a welcome change to share some of the nice things as opposed to always focusing on the negative.

Few things work well in Argentina, but personal relationships do. Here, EVERYTHING is personal.

Bueno! I'll join in:

1. Whenever my Porteno boyfriend has to go out of town on a business trip (like this week), his two sisters both check in on me every day to make sure that I'm okay on my own. My Castellano is still pretty weak - and they don't really speak strong English, but it's the thought that counts!

2. There is at least one colectivo that will take me anywhere I need to go, even if it takes me a while to figure out the route - and it only costs $1.25! A bargain!

3. The wine is always good, and very affordable!

4. The park in Palermo is always kept in top notch condition, and is perfect for running, or literally, taking a minute to stop and smell the roses.

5. There is so much variety in places to see and experience - mountains, lakes, beaches, cities, vineyards, glaciers, waterfalls - there really is something for everyone to see and do!

Anyone else want to contribute to the list of POSITIVE things about Buenos Aires and Argentina? Please - no negatives on this thread - there are so many other threads that list all the negatives! Let's try to keep this one criticism free!

The locals help you to put a lot of things in perspective. Like if the power goes out or you can't get fuel. Lots more things I could mention that local people have an attitude for, that i simply don't get too worried if things don't work quite as they should. I simply repair it. Especially as we live out in the sticks.
I also think that Argentine people are some of the politest I've met anywhere.

Gringoboy said:
The locals help you to put a lot of things in perspective. Like if the power goes out or you can't get fuel. Lots more things I could mention that local people have an attitude for, that i simply don't get too worried if things don't work quite as they should. I simply repair it. Especially as we live out in the sticks.
I also think that Argentine people are some of the politest I've met anywhere.
I totally agree gringo:)

Back