My recommendations for (decent) restaurants in BA.

Went to Sattva for the second time last night. It's a vegetarian place on Montevideo just north of Corrientes. Very reasonable prices (30-40 pesos for an entree) and the food is great! Their take on Mexican food is delicious. You can spend ~150 pesos for 2 people and get a good meal.

AlfajorEfi said:
exactly! There are no options and it repeats itself.
I also do not live in Capital so it's very annoying to drive one hour into town (Palermo or Puerto Madero) and not find very good food. There are very very good restaurants here but just the Parilla type- Happening, El Mirasol, LA Cabrrera, etc. The rest are meium grade like Kansas and the best "chinese" food I found is Yokos but its not even close.
Where do they serve Won Ton soup in this town?

I have tried various Indian places but the problems are- not spicy enough, lack of variety, expensive and small portions/have to order each thing separately i/e meal, rice, nan...
Did not yet find a good Thai place.
I just spent a month in London and in walking distance I had SUPERB Indian food and Thai food. But world class, not just above average. Possibly the best I have had!

Here the exotic foods are not up to par. There are NO Greek restaurants, nothing Chinese (like in North America), no Middle Eastern food- tried Sarkis the other day and almost choked on their falafel. Some things were good taste wise (good spices, etc) but they use low grade meat that is hard to chew, not to mention too expensive for the quality.

I do not have a problem spending money on good food, but it has to be good! Why don't they have Mr. Chow here????

There is one greek restaurant in Buenos Aires called Mykonos on Olleros Las Canitas . Its ok but expensive . Good gyros is impossible to find in Buenos Aires and the ones I have tries cut corners with the quality of meat and lack of ingredients. I lived in Melbourne Australia and imho they have the best gyros in the world . Stalacites on Russell Street is the king of yeeros
http://www.stalactites.com.au/

The problems are cultural in the sense that people want to make the most money for little efforts . I see this time and time again in my business dealings with the people here . Ther is no sense of forward planning nor common sense in many cases.

perry said:
There is one greek restaurant in Buenos Aires called Mykonos on Olleros Las Canitas . Its ok but expensive . Good gyros is impossible to find in Buenos Aires and the ones I have tries cut corners with the quality of meat and lack of ingredients. I lived in Melbourne Australia and imho they have the best gyros in the world . Stalacites on Russell Street is the king of yeeros
http://www.stalactites.com.au/

The problems are cultural in the sense that people want to make the most money for little efforts . I see this time and time again in my business dealings with the people here . Ther is no sense of forward planning nor common sense in many cases.

Saw Mykonos once but it was closed in the afternoon. Their site does not look appealing and I can imagine the food is mas o menos..
I guess I will have to wait until I go to Melbourne to try their gyro...They have awesome Greek food in Montreal...miss it lots.

I agree with the statement about doing business here. People here think about fast cash and no long term thinking and they do not work on relationships her at all. They could care less if you stay with them or exchange supplier! When you tell them that you have other options they say you are free to do whatever you want they don't even put a fight!
I wonder how BA is as it is today, and how much better it could have been..

On one hand things are are very progressed- medicine, new constructions, private schools, panamericana is a great road, lots of culture like in Broadway, modern and big supermarkets with fresh food, etc.
And one hand so third world- crappy buses and you always see a million people line up (what's up with peopling waiting in ques all day and their "tramites"?), lack of places for family outings, they mainly have malls and ONE very crappy amusement park that is closed most of the year.
Internet here is slow and most hotels don't have good wi fi AND they charge for it a lot. Small streets are not even paved and they have terrible road signs here plus no street names outside of Capital...

Another problem, is that there are too many Argentines here...hehe (but in every place there are too many locals)

AlfajorEfi said:
Saw Mykonos once but it was closed in the afternoon. Their site does not look appealing and I can imagine the food is mas o menos..
I guess I will have to wait until I go to Melbourne to try their gyro...They have awesome Greek food in Montreal...miss it lots.

I agree with the statement about doing business here. People here think about fast cash and no long term thinking and they do not work on relationships her at all. They could care less if you stay with them or exchange supplier! When you tell them that you have other options they say you are free to do whatever you want they don't even put a fight!
I wonder how BA is as it is today, and how much better it could have been..

On one hand things are are very progressed- medicine, new constructions, private schools, panamericana is a great road, lots of culture like in Broadway, modern and big supermarkets with fresh food, etc.
And one hand so third world- crappy buses and you always see a million people line up (what's up with peopling waiting in ques all day and their "tramites"?), lack of places for family outings, they mainly have malls and ONE very crappy amusement park that is closed most of the year.
Internet here is slow and most hotels don't have good wi fi AND they charge for it a lot. Small streets are not even paved and they have terrible road signs here plus no street names outside of Capital...

Another problem, is that there are too many Argentines here...hehe (but in every place there are too many locals)

I am a bit of a food snob as I grew up with a doting mother who cooked us incredible greek dishes that took all day to prepare . She did not do this for money just for love and that is what is lacking in many kitchens in Buenos Aires where money and more money is the only object .

When food is prepared with preparation, love ,and the freshest ingredients it is a miracle in itself. In Buenos Aires there are few mothers (or fathers) that cook unfortunately as the culture is one of little time and also looking at the kitchen as only fit for a maid!!!

Back