My refrigerator died

Redpossum

Registered
The ancient refrigerator in my apartment is pissing water all over the kitchen floor as the huge block of ice in the back slowly melts. Occasionally I can hear it trying to start up, and then stopping, but with so many fans running, the auditory clues are hard to catch unless I'm right there in the kitchen.

I saw the post from one of our regulars about reduced voltage, and given the notable flickering of the bathroom light, (the only one on most of the time, as I try desperately to turn off anything that might produce any heat), I guess that's an issue here.

The questions in my mind are -
Has the fridge died permanently, or will it start running again when (and if) voltage returns to something more normal?
Do I go and spend 100K ARS on a new mini-fridge now, or will the reduced voltage possibly kill that too?
Should I perhaps go and try to find an electrical meter at a not-too-extortionate price and actually check the voltage before deciding?

I'm not asking any of you to answer these questions, that's on my shoulders. I'm just articulating my thoughts, and wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences.

Ay, puta vida!

you can try changing the starter motor relay for a few bucks.
It’s not a difficult job.
Well, that's an interesting suggestion, thank you. I found a video on YT
and it looks fairly straightforward, though getting at the back of my fridge in a kitchen the size of a small closet is going to take some contortions

Do you have any suggestions, Ronnie, on where one would buy a replacement relay in CABA?

What are the policies on getting a refund? for burned appliances

Many businesses have lost millions in perishable merchandise, for lost power... Who decides what can be saved and SOLD..?? OMG

Several years ago I had fridge problems and ended calling this guy Refrigeracion Armando. He repaired the problem.
But it only worked for a few months, the second time he came with his son. In the end I wound up replace it with a new one.
The old one, Patrick brand was OK for the years I had it. I now have a Whirlpool brand it has self defrost, worth every penny.
Good luck. AFAIK Armando speaks only Spanish and does house calls only in CABA.

Last edited:
Back