My Social Security Account

Good advise.However

What happens if you provide false information or misuse this service?

You may be subject to criminal or civil penalties, or both, if you provide false or misleading statements to sign in or create an account or engage in unauthorized use of this service.
NOTED!

But what choice do you have? The government is not providing an option for your situation.

Have you acutally used this technique to get an SS card or drivers license?
Jeff,

(DL - yes, on a renewal.)

I have and I never, even for a second second guessed my actions or felt bad about what I was doing because there was no other option for me to pursue. There is no provision for an honest person living outside of the country.

At the very least, they ought to let you do something at the consular offices in said foreign country. That would make some sense.

Just go in, identify yourself and proceed with your business.

Ways to Apply
You can complete an application for Retirement, Spouse's, Medicare or Disability Benefits online.

If you cannot submit your application online:

• You can call us at 1-800-772-1213(TTY 1-800-325-0778); or
  • Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, visits to our offices are by appointment only for certain services. Please visit our Coronavirus page to see if you may be eligible for an in-person appointment.
If you live outside the U.S. you can contact the Federal Benefits Unit that provides service to your country of residence.
Son of a gun - nice find.

I applied for SS three months before my 62nd birthday at the Federal Benefits office at the US Consulate in BA. The process took 20 minutes to complete the paperwork and answer a few questions about my work record. The benefits began a month after my birthday and are deposited into my US bank account.

Use a trusted family member or friend's EEUU address.

The most that may come of it, is you might receive some snail mail. Simply have your recipient open it and send you a digital copy. And if you need to respond to something, respond. No one goes out into the field knocking on doors to see if you are there.

I also started all the paperwork (in this case first part of Medicare). I am using one of my friends' address (same building, different apartment #). She got three different letters and scanned all the pages (more than 30) and sent them to me via phone. Not everything is received or made online...but so far, so good.

When my wife was eligible to receive SS benefits, she used and still uses our address here in Argentina, without a problem. That was in 2017 and she did everything over the phone, talking with an agent.

Ways to Apply
You can complete an application for Retirement, Spouse's, Medicare or Disability Benefits online.

If you cannot submit your application online:

• You can call us at 1-800-772-1213(TTY 1-800-325-0778); or
  • Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, visits to our offices are by appointment only for certain services. Please visit our Coronavirus page to see if you may be eligible for an in-person appointment.
If you live outside the U.S. you can contact the Federal Benefits Unit that provides service to your country of residence.
I sent an email this week to this Federal Benefits Unit here in Buenos Aires, but have had no reply after 5 days. I desperately need a copy if my SS card (i know my number) and thought they could help me get one. Does anyone know if they will be able to get me a replacement card?

I didnt try online cause they require 2 (american) ID´s, is that correct? And I only have my US Passport. Can anyone think of any other ways to get a replacement card?

This is one of several reasons that I'm seriously thinking of buying a small place in Florida.
South Dakota will let you have immediate residency by spending one night in a hotel or campground and bringing the receipt and the receipt from a South Dakota based mail forwarding service to the DMV to get your license. Only state that does that and very popular with fulltime RVer's. No state income tax either. The mail forwarding service address is acceptable as a residential address and is what will be put on the license.

I sent an email this week to this Federal Benefits Unit here in Buenos Aires, but have had no reply after 5 days. I desperately need a copy if my SS card (i know my number) and thought they could help me get one. Does anyone know if they will be able to get me a replacement card?

I didnt try online cause they require 2 (american) ID´s, is that correct? And I only have my US Passport. Can anyone think of any other ways to get a replacement card?
I recently got a new social security card through my on line SS account. It was nothing more than an on line form and it was mailed to my address of record inside of about a week. (But the address of record may be your problem???)

Back