My Visit To Buenos Aires

Wow, thanks for the reply Eric.....if it's that's bad, why stay.....I doubt I could afford recoleta, and I'm sad to hear how badly different it is in other parts of Argentina......your pic is much like homes in Peru....nice construction though....I'm a political junkie, so I had to throw the two cents in there......I understand there are differences....I just like to nudge a bit......I don't take political opinions of others to seriously.......this world if fucked either way...pardon the .........
I found our stay to be enjoyable, an experience and loved the city......kept telling the misses to put the big I phone plus away....lol.....one place ....the rodi bar....was awful. Had good reviews, but we hated....filled with tourists too thinking they were getting a good meal.....I would've enjoyed McDonald's better

Yes...actually after almost 8 years or so, we are thinking about leaving yes... we have a 2 year old now...

Barrio Chaleco? I presume I'll continue to prefer Palermo.

Barrio chaleco...you know why they call it that don't you ;)

chaleco de antibala :p

Makes me think of that neighborhood...in Buenos Aires what's it called "Las Matanzas" ( the carnage or the slaughter ) I read about shootings and stuff happening there and I'm like: "mmmmm....... "Las Matanzas" .......uuuhh...I think I'd move out now if I was living there.. :huh:

Ohhh and for the record regarding the discussion...I'm not necessarily talking about Buenos Aires....I don't live in Buenos Aires. Argentinas serious and growing crime issues is not delegated to just Buenos Aires...

I'm not saying don't come here or live in fear, but I'm pointing out the reality that outsiders either ignore or just dont understand: that the crime is getting worse and insecurity is a growing and serious problem here...and you do have to be careful.. It's an issue that's very heavy on the minds of many argentines right now and for good reason.

Especially if you live in "Barrio Chaleco de antibala"

The OP of the thread said if it's that bad maybe I should get out: "Well my wife and I ARE seriously considering leaving to be honest, at least within the next year or so......" Actually, alot of folks here, argentines that we know are also telling us we should as well....

I agree with a few other assesments: If one is single, young and is looking for adventure and a whole new country or culture to experience, Buenos Aires and Argentina as a whole is great. If you can afford to live in an upscale part of Buenos Aires or gated community with great security....go for it. Personally, I'd bet on living in a smaller city or a rural part of Argentina, say 200 - 300 kilometers from BA or more.

My wife and I, we have a 2 year old, and we are thinking about our child, not just about us.

If I could afford it or convince my wife I'd do it. Rural Argentina is beautiful....yet it is VERY rural to say the least but it's also alot safer and alot less hassle. Although if you need an ambulance or a hospital that could be an issue. Alot of expats do live in rural communities here, especially down near Bariloche.....although I'm quite partial to Entre Rios or Missiones....I really liked both of those provinces...

Wow, thanks for the reply Eric.....if it's that's bad, why stay.....I doubt I could afford recoleta, and I'm sad to hear how badly different it is in other parts of Argentina......your pic is much like homes in Peru....nice construction though....I'm a political junkie, so I had to throw the two cents in there......I understand there are differences....I just like to nudge a bit......I don't take political opinions of others to seriously.......this world if fucked either way...pardon the .........
I found our stay to be enjoyable, an experience and loved the city......kept telling the misses to put the big I phone plus away....lol.....one place ....the rodi bar....was awful. Had good reviews, but we hated....filled with tourists too thinking they were getting a good meal.....I would've enjoyed McDonald's better

We love Rodi, as do lifetime BsAs friends. What was the problem?

Its called Barrio Chaleco because of all the old guys wearing hand knitted sweater vests, slowly walking across the street to the pizzaria where they have been eating fugazetta for forty years...

Anyway, there is crime in Argentina, absolutely, just like there is in Phoenix, or Houston, NYC or LA.

I am lucky enough to have my apartment in a part of BA that is quite safe.
And I am pretty street smart- spent a long time with my workshop in South Central LA, in an area where most Angelenos wouldnt even drive- and I never had a problem.
Dont wear a rolex, and in Buenos Aires, I dont have a car.

YMMV.

We are retired, own our apartment in Palermo and live here for about 7 months of the year. This is where we want to live.
Nancy

Sorry for typos...I don't fix typos.....so here it goes
I have just returned from a month in buenos aires and would like to give my feelings on it
Before I went , I was concerned a bit about the situation there regarding crime, the people etc....
I found b.a. To be great......always on guard....I went to every nook and cranny of the city...almost
The people were great....food was great.. Bus system was great.....I found NYC to be less safer the b.a. So much talk on the net about negatives of Argentina and b.a. I came away with the idea, I would love to retire in b.a. Of course there were many undesirables , but there are about 6-7 million undesirables in NYC alone.....also went to Montevideo and punta del este and it was even better there....also spent a week in Peru, Lima mancora a few others. Been there before.....looking for retirement place .....going to look into Cuenca next. Yes, I did the tourist things in b.a. Too......liked pizza guerriin......don Julio was good...lots of tourists though ....stayed in recoleta.....liked el San Juan ino. This freakin iPad keeps typing wrongs words for me....dam. Go ahead people, lay it on...with comments ....I would say there is a solid low- middle class in b.a. I know there is a big gap in South America......and collapse may be imminent ...lit shouldn't be......got my pesos at a small store on Junin near the cementary ...Yeah maybe I could've gotten more.....I got 12.3 Whatever.....got a. Little sick at Freddo. Loved persicco.....went to Tigre....weird people on train ....but was cool.....took about 10 taxi rides when not using the bus.....all honest except maybe one......he took me a long way to abasto shopping I thought from recoleta. But it cost me maybe an extra buck a two.....it was pouring one day so I didn't want to argue with the guy for thinking he'd throw me out of taxi.....generally nice people in b.a. Going to decide within a year or so, where to retire....b.a. Is high on the list.....Somme great bakeries too.....one I remember was on las heras near Junin ....unfortunately like in the u.s. The people are mostly blind when it comes to politics there.....I'm a conservative and believe leftist world politics is destroying the world....go ahead people....argue that one with me....I can take it....my wife is from Peru, so my Spanish is just o.k. I could get by there I think. Wish I could speak better, I should. I'm 53 ....started learning Spanish 15 years ago.... But a little lazy in speaking conversationally...anyway...b.a. Is terrific....based on my typing this.....if I said I would like to teach English to make a little, I'd know I'd get killed....so I won't say it....jajajaja....for now I'm down to Lima or b.a. To retire....trip to Cuenca and panama later to come ...took a whole day and did river plate and boca stadiums using bus 29 for a few cents....that was good........met many locals and has great experience.....
Ok.....like feedback.....even the jaded folks here.....bring it on
Peace.

Glad to hear you had a good time. I was in NJ last year ( Jersey shore but also Jersey city - and did not feel unsafe in Jersey city at all, despite everything my NJ hubby told me about it lol )

Its called Barrio Chaleco because of all the old guys wearing hand knitted sweater vests, slowly walking across the street to the pizzaria where they have been eating fugazetta for forty years...

Anyway, there is crime in Argentina, absolutely, just like there is in Phoenix, or Houston, NYC or LA.

I am lucky enough to have my apartment in a part of BA that is quite safe.
And I am pretty street smart- spent a long time with my workshop in South Central LA, in an area where most Angelenos wouldnt even drive- and I never had a problem.
Dont wear a rolex, and in Buenos Aires, I dont have a car.

YMMV.

I don't have a car either.....and neither does my neighbor Claudia around the corner....especially since hers was stolen a few months ago while parked out front...

Here's Kristinas car

ericoldtime-1748143-albums-private-stuff-pic116680-viajes-argentinas-que-vengan-ya.jpg

Eric, i am sorry for all the bad things that have happened to your family and friends. Certainly, these crimes are traumatic. This happens everywhere in the world, in my opinion.
We have been robbed in Seville, Spain and Rome, Italy and in NYC, where we lived for 4 years. In NYC., our car was stolen from a parking lot with a high fence and a 24 hr. guard and also, a special card to open the gate. These are crimes that occur in large cities in most of the world.
I do agree that there is more crime now than 23 years ago when we moved here. Has the same not occurred in most large cities of the world-I don{t have numbers to prove this, just a supposition.
Our experience of living in B.A. has been positive. We stayed because we love the city and are happy here.
Do you feel that living in a large city in the US. is safer- or this just because so many bad things have happened to you, your family, and neighbors-)) my question mark is not working, just leaves a space=
We are street smart, have traveled a lot, and always try to exert care. This has not turned us against our life here. We love Buenos Aires. We feel that the good here out weighs the bad. Perhaps we are just Pollyanish..

Back