Exchanging money while visiting Buenos Aires

E

Eheyburn

I am visiting Buenos Aires in December 2021. Can anyone suggest what I should do about exchanging dollars for Argentine Pesos? I have seen posts on exchanging money on the local black market but it seems easy to be scammed.

Unless you are needing big amounts, ATM is good.
The ATM is NEVER good as you get the government exchange rate rather than the Blue rate. There are plenty of places where you can exchange your dollars for pesos at the Blue rate, and not be scammed. Do not listen to the fear mongers, or those clueless enough to recommend ATMs.

In my opinion it all depends on why you are coming and how long you are staying for. If you are disembarking from a cruise ship for the afternoon or only stopping for a couple of days of sightseeing then spending half your time orienting yourself in order to try to find a place that gives a good deal does not seem to me a wise use of a precious visit. The ATMs will screw you royally on exchange rate and fees and ridiculously small maximum payouts but there are lots of them, they are easy to use and your transaction will be over in minutes. If you are staying at a hotel they will probably accept payment in dollars as will most tourist-facing businesses. If you are coming for another purpose or planning to stay longer, it may make sense to look for one of the betters way of getting money - care to tell us more?

The ATM is NEVER good as you get the government exchange rate rather than the Blue rate. There are plenty of places where you can exchange your dollars for pesos at the Blue rate, and not be scammed. Do not listen to the fear mongers, or those clueless enough to recommend ATMs.

I assume the Blue Rate is also the Black Market? How do I know the good from bad places?

In my opinion it all depends on why you are coming and how long you are staying for. If you are disembarking from a cruise ship for the afternoon or only stopping for a couple of days of sightseeing then spending half your time orienting yourself in order to try to find a place that gives a good deal does not seem to me a wise use of a precious visit. The ATMs will screw you royally on exchange rate and fees and ridiculously small maximum payouts but there are lots of them, they are easy to use and your transaction will be over in minutes. If you are staying at a hotel they will probably accept payment in dollars as will most tourist-facing businesses. If you are coming for another purpose or planning to stay longer, it may make sense to look for one of the betters way of getting money - care to tell us more?

I will be there for two weeks. I will have access to credit cards, debit cards and cash. I assume ATM will have a lot of fees. I just do not know who to trust if I do not use a bank.

If you're only here for a limited time I would just accept that you're going to get screwed on the exchange rate. Unless you have contacts here that can hook you up with a trusted cueva or you have a western union account and you know enough Spanish to facilitate the pickup at a local place.

Atms are easy and convenient but they will cost you a lot. Crappy exchange rate and ~10% fee.

Credit cards are also becoming less accepted but where they are you will most likely end up paying an upcharge and receive the crappy official exchange rate (triple whammy).

The gov is getting all frothed up over stealing dollars from tourists in the upcoming months.

Western union might not be a bad option for you.

Western Union is the way to go.
I suggest you begin at the webpage https://www.westernunion.com/us/en/home.html and initiate the transaction from there.

Just don't try to go to a small branch office. Visit the main downtown office at Cordoba and Montevideo.Try to get there before 10:30am on a weekday, and avoid the first three business days of the month. They will give you something very close to the Blue rate.

To pick up the cash you'll need your passport. Also you will be asked for the transaction number, and the amount in pesos; these will be emailed to you, in addition to being given to you when your transaction is confirmed. WU will probably call you the first time or two you use their service.

In addition to paying you slightly less than the Blue rate, they will charge you a fee of 10 USD for the first hundred dollars, and 5 USD for each hundred after that. So $15 fee for 200 bucks, $20 fee for 300 bucks, etc.

Buy and wear a money belt. Put most of your cash away before you leave the window.

Off topic but related-

I would advise you not to bring an expensive new iPhone to Argentina. If you must do so, don't take it out on the street; find a coffee shop to enter and use your phone there. Don't wear an expensive watch or jewelry. Be cautious, but not paranoid; this is Buenos Aires, not Juarez. You will be fine.

If you want a nice hotel downtown for a reasonable price, check out Uno Suites at 1944 Rivadavia. You can get a King Size bed if you ask for it. There's a gym on the top floor, and a sun lounge. Powerful air conditioners, key carded rooms, and nice bathrooms. Just don't drink the free coffee; it's horrible.

Back