Need a Non-Argentine Spanish Teacher (native speaker)

Yes, that's for tener, but there are other verbs that change a lot. Also, in central América voseo is only the substitution of tu. They say: vos eres instead of vos sos. And no, I've never heard anyone from Chiapas use vos (I have heard it from someone from Guatemala).

Hi Just in case you are still looking my boyfriend teaches Spanish, he is from Europe (lived many countries) and learnt Spanish in Spain so if you are still looking PM me and I can give you his details.

genialf said:
Yes, that's for tener, but there are other verbs that change a lot. Also, in central América voseo is only the substitution of tu. They say: vos eres instead of vos sos. And no, I've never heard anyone from Chiapas use vos (I have heard it from someone from Guatemala).

Really, like what? The voseo tense has something like 2 irregular verbs, it pretty much the simplest tenese to learn.

Tener - tenés
Andar - andás
quedar - quedás

And the imperative? All you do is drop the R and accent the last syllable.

Tener - tené
Andar - andá
Quedar - quedá

Will be neutral Spanish, just like the lady on CNN in Spanish speaks when translating from english language.... Argentine accent was inherited from Italians, they have the popular "ye" (sh) for some words ( Listen Laura Pausini en español) , while the rest of latino america( most) instead of "show" they pronounce "chou". Eventually, I believe, you have to pick up (adquire) an acccent, otherwise you may sound like a robot...
You can learn both types of Spanish: "tu and "vos" and all the verbs altered by them, it's not very difficult. Examples: Vete para alla = andá para alla; muévete=movete ....

PhilipDT said:
Really, like what? The voseo tense has something like 2 irregular verbs, it pretty much the simplest tenese to learn.

Tener - tenés
Andar - andás
quedar - quedás

And the imperative? All you do is drop the R and accent the last syllable.

Tener - tené
Andar - andá
Quedar - quedá

I'm not saying it's hard... it's just that if someone learns Argentine spanish, it'd be weird when he went to other countries. Just that. And there are some that change more:

Imperative

Verb - TU form - VOS form

Decir - dile - decile
Poner - pon - ponele

genialf said:
And there are some that change more:

Imperative

Verb - TU form - VOS form

Decir - dile - decile
Poner - pon - ponele

Yeah they change more if you unnecessarily add pronouns to the end...

Oh yeah, my bad. It changes a lot anyway: di - decí. Pon - poné. Still it's not the most common Spanish (given the amount of population in argentina + Uruguay VS the rest of the Spanish speaking world).

genialf said:

Naw, in Costa Rica at least they use normal voseo (vos sos, etc) some of the time. In Chiapas (at least in the Southern part/Tapachula area) they use 'sos' w/ out 'vos'. In Guatemala, its pretty common too, etc. Not limited to S. America only.

The OP wants to learn neutro -- "standard" Spanish -- the thing is it's not really spoken anywhere -- a neutral form is more likely to be used in international business conversations and on international news channels like CNN. Except that he'll still have an American accent underneath it all so it will be rather odd, unless he's a whiz with accents.

If you want to learn a less distinctive accent than the porteno one but are still for some reason determined to learn in Argentina, maybe you should go to Cordoba. You'll still be taught cordobes rather than "neutral" but they don't use a lot of the same expressions that make porteno so distinctive, however they do have a lot of their own.

The Cordobes accent is slightly more similar to accents from the Mexico to Colombia regions, they speak slower than in Capital as well.

I'd still say learn porteno spanish -- you know why? It's a baptism of fire -- if you can learn to keep up with the portenos and their rapid-fire speech and use of language, you will be able to handle spanish from pretty much any other region or country -- after the portenos, everyone else speaks so....slowly....it's...like...watching...paint....dry.

Yay, a language post!

The vos tense and shh (or zh like zsa zsa gabor from the older generations, listen for the difference) sound for ll/y are the differences foreigners notice first. But they are far from the only differences. How often do you ever hear the present perfect spoken? (Yo he ido, yo he probado, etc.) Almost never. Or this particular future tense in everyday speech: Iré, saldremos, etc. No, usually you will hear voy a ir or vamos a salir. And let's say you want a side salad instead of papas fritas with your meal, because you're a cheto bastard from Palermo Island and sometimes you can pull that shit there. You would say, perhaps: Con ensalada en vez de papas fritas, ¿puede ser? Even that "puede ser" is re argentino. In many (most?) other countries they would just say "por favor." Also, try going to Colombia or Spain and saying papas fritas. Nope. Try papas francesas and patatas fritas. Spend enough time in BA and you will pick up expressions and grammar that you may not even realize are specific to the region. I could go on, as I'm sure anyone who has spent any significant amount of time here could.

So the OP could learn nothing but Argentine Spanish and lunfardo, and yeah, people in other countries would understand for the most part.* But would he understand them? I took a FANTASTIC class through Expanish at UBE in 2008 with a great porteña teacher named Melania. It was an intensive grammar course in which we reviewed every single grammar tense and a bunch of neutral Spanish**, and then went over how people speak in Buenos Aires. So we learned neutral Spanish grammar, but also had several classes over the local dialect. Five hours a day, five days a week for a month. The OP could certainly specify what kind of class he/she wants.

*Not always. I met several Argentines when I was traveling the Colombian coast who could barely understand or be understood themselves when talking to the locals. I have never heard faster Spanish than in Cartagena, and oh my God, the slang. Made even porteños sound slow after, which is nuts.
**It does exist, at least in the fictional realm (and see what syngirl wrote above). Watch Los Simpsons. Although they do give that bee guy a Mexican accent.

Back