Need a Roommate - October through March+

If you can afford it, go for the 1st one. It looks to have more comfortable furnishings and with the space, it makes the choice easy, especially if you are going to spend alot of time in it.

Hey peeps. I'm the realtor with the "over-priced" non-"Palermo Queens" listing. jaja. PLEASE (seriously) by all means send me links or leads to any properties that you have that are similar or even just available and nice. I represent dozens of properties here and this one is by far one of my favorites! I truly believe, without bias, it is also very well priced in the current market.

Anyway the gringos are flocking to BA the next few months and I am literally running out of accommodations! I have multiple interest in many of the same properties (like the one Patrick likes for example I have 2 other families interested and will need to find them long-term accommodations as well).

This particular townhouse is a 2BR/3BA remodeled with an amazing view roof deck, parilla, and wading pool. It was recently renovated with new floors, bathroom updates and the interior was completely painted last month! It has over 230m2 with all utilities included and maid service. Honestly I wish I had more properties like this one on the Soho/Villa Crespo border! Its about a 3 minute walk to Soho (I've personally timed it...I have long legs though and walk fast!) and maybe 5-7 minute walk to Plaza Serrano. If you are yourself or know of any fabulous owners who would like help in renting I work very diligently to help everyone either find tenants or find apartments. This owner, for example, is an amazing extremely reasonable Argentine owner who takes meticulous care of his place and will ensure any needed repairs are fixed the same day if possible.

I only am posting because this is supposed to be a helpful forum and I am always open to help and knowledgeable advice. ;) Thanks for your positive commentary and helpful assistance!

Jaime - good luck in renting the apt and it sounds like you have several people interested. It is quite lovely.

I am poking fun at it being called Palermo Queens because well, it is Villa Crespo. Nothing wrong with that but let's call a spade a spade. Calling it Palermo Queens is an attempt to cash in the name of Palermo.

As far as the price - well, you priced it at what you think the market will bear. I am renting directly from an owner for a much lower price in a more expensive location. That being said, whatever the market brings is fair and power to you if you can rent it and make a nice profit for yourself and for the owner.

Zack, Abasto can be a little dodgy (not too bad, but there's more crime and it's a bit dirtier the further you get from Almagro, imho) of an area, and la Balvanera is a large neighborhood, very central to downtown. It's not a tourist barrio like San Telmo is. Whether I would personally I want to live there depends on the address. Also, for an apartment being off of a busy street could mean that it's extremely loud inside. Let us know more specifics and I'm sure you can get some good feedback on that particular place. :)

Patrick - have you been to BsAs before? If not, I would seriously suggest you rent an apt for a few weeks and go see the various neighborhoods. Really, it's such an individual choice. It also depends on your interest (nightlife, being close to parks, etc).

I would also be really hesitant to sign a lease for 6 months sight-unseen. (not saying any real estate agent would willingly mislead you of course) but apts in reality can be very different. Not talking about intentionally misleading but maybe the apt happens to be on a major bus route and noise will be an issue. Or it happens to be located above a bar. or next to a really popular restaurant. or just in an area that doesn't happen to be an area you particularly like.

MizzMarr said:
Zack, Abasto can be a little dodgy (not too bad, but there's more crime and it's a bit dirtier the further you get from Almagro, imho) of an area, and la Balvanera is a large neighborhood, very central to downtown. It's not a tourist barrio like San Telmo is. Whether I would personally I want to live there depends on the address. Also, for an apartment being off of a busy street could mean that it's extremely loud inside. Let us know more specifics and I'm sure you can get some good feedback on that particular place. :)

Thanks!

I'm here for just the month! Well maybe longer and It's more for a place sleep and shower, If i am in my place more than 12hrs a day I will shoot myself. I5-thought I'd take the 4-500 I'm saving and use it to see the city rather than a few more tiles on the floor.

Ill pm you the address i saw it on Google earth and it was fine... Also I did not want to be in the Recoleta and Palermo and such I want to go there and enjoy, I'm not a fan of living in where i love to visit...
Zach

Patrick if you go for the first one I want to be invited over for a summer asado!! :)

jaime_jensen said:
I truly believe, without bias, it is also very well priced in the current market.

Realtors are always an unbiased source of info.

As for OP, when I moved here I was pretty close to your situation. Personally I'd choose neighborhood over specific property. It sounds like you haven't spent much time in BA before since you're thinking about living in Villa Crespo...nothing wrong with Villa Crespo by any means, but you might find it a little far away from anything that isn't Soho.

Also, I wouldn't get too locked into any specific realtor.

Speaking strictly in terms of location -

Uriarte and Loyola - Villa Crespo

It is only a block away form Av. Juan B Justo which gives you a lot of buses to use to get around the city which is great. The nearest subway station is a bit of a hike thou. It is about 9 or 10 blocks away at the intersection of Av. Dorrego and Av. Corrientes. If you are not in a hurry, that is not a long walk, but for me 10 or 15 minutes can be to much time. There is also another subway station at Malabia and Av. Corrientes that is also 9 or 10 blocks away. These are on the B line of the subway which won't take you anywhere to important except the center where you can make connections with other lines.

It is defiantly not in Palermo. Av. Cordoba is the official boundary between Palermo and Villa Crespo. But it is in fact only a short walk to Plaza Serrano. But there is so much more to the city than just Serrano. Staying here long term will give you plenty of chance to see Plaza Serrano before you leave. I wouldn't make that your sole reason for choosing an apartment.

Personally, I like Villa Crespo. It is working middle class. It does not have the polish that Palermo has. It is also likely that food prices will be a little lower outside of Palermo where stores jack up the prices because of the heavy influx of tourists there.

Cervino and Lafinur - Palermo Chico

This is arguably the prettiest place in Buenos Aires. The apartment is within walking distance of the city's best parks which is a huge plus. This is an expensive area. Don't be surprised to find yourself paying a few extra pesos every time you buy food. Nothing to major, but it adds up and it is significant if you are on a budget.

You are a block away from Av. Libertador where you can get buses but there are not to many buses going on that area of the Avenue. You can walk to Av. Santa fe which is 8 blocks away and find many buses to get anywhere in the city and Av. Gral Las Heras which will give you a few more bus options.

Subway is about 7 blocks away at Plaza Italia and about 9 blocks away at the intersection of Av. Santa Fe and Av. Scalabrini Ortiz. Both are the D line which will take you from the center through Recoleta, Palermo, Belgrano and ending in Nunez.

It is a very nice area with great parks nearby. I certainly would not object to living here. For the location, the price is very reasonable as it is one of the nicest places to be.

Humboldt and Soler - Palermo Hollywood

Palermo Hollywood doesn't have all the posh and glamor of Palermo Soho or Palermo Chico, but it is still a nice place to be.

Safety can be a minor concern in this area - it can be in the whole city - but near the train tracks there on the other side of Juan B Justo can be a little shady and you are only 2 blocks away with this apartment. Just keep your head up at night and be aware.

The biggest issue with this location is that this area is very prone to flooding. I believe Juan B Justo has flooded three times in the last year. So don't be surprised if you find yourself trying to get home only to find 3 or 4 feet of water standing in your way.

Subway station is 3 blocks away at Av. Santa Fe and Av. Juan B Justo. It is the Palermo stop on the D line which will help a lot to get around in the nicer areas of the city. You also have plenty of buses taking you just about everywhere with Both Santa Fe and Juan B Justo nearby.

You are also within walking distance of Jumbo (think Wal Mart but a little fancier) where you can buy just about anything.

Hope this helps! Just wanted to give you some more info to help you make a decision.

I also agree that renting something short term and exploring the city a bit before you make a chioce would help a lot. I'd be happy to show you around if you need it.

Back