Need Advise In Learning The Lingo

"Espero que les haya gustado," ...becomes... ¿Era rico el carne?

Then later... Les gustó?

"Espero que les haya gustado." is about 3 to 5 years away.????

I used to say 'Espero que les gustaba' until teacher corrected me.
Oh and it's la carne btw.

All good advice. I struggled with Spanish in school for 9 years and didn´t learn a thing, it doesn´t come easy to me at all. Here are some more things to try:
1) figure out if you learn listening, reading, etc. I can´t learn a new word by hearing it, I can´t even repeat it. So I would do a lot of flash cards. I would not only put the meaning on the word but also how it is used, and then when drilling would make myself use the word in at least three sentences. Context is key.
2) introduction to theater. there are some theater groups for expats in Spanish but I suggest taking a theater class in a cultural center like El Rojas. The improv will be a big help and into to theater is basically getting over fear of speaking, so you will be in good company. A good way to meet people too.
3) get involved in classes or activities where you need to listen to and speak Spanish, even a drawing class or a dance class.
4) see Argentine cinema, it is cheap. if you don´t understand anything, see it again.
5) for three months, do not see anyone who speaks English. This is hard, you will feel lonely. But it will force you out of your comfort zone.
6) write a diary in Spanish about what you did each day, your thoughts, etc like a teenager.
Completely agree that the focus should be on comunicating, not speaking correctly. I remember I struggled with the conjugation of "oir" until someone said "why don´t you say escuchar, it means the same thing" ok, they are not exactly the same but no one will care.

It might not be the right for OP as he seems already quite advanced, but in case anyone looks up this thread and just starts out with learning spanish, you might want to take a look at Duolingo.com. It really helps building up your vocabulary (and repeats showing you words until you learned them). Also, I really love the business model behind it: it's free, but by learning a language, you automatically help translating texts. There is a TED talk from the brain behind this approach at http://www.ted.com/talks/luis_von_ahn_massive_scale_online_collaboration.html

If you don't know and fully understand all the parts of speech in English you'll never get Spanish. Beyond that, what worked for me was writing writing writing writing and more writing in Spanish. That will discipline your language skills.

I am one that never learned formal grammar structure in English ( my native language) either, and yes you are so right, it made learning Spanish so much more difficult! I had to first understand what all those parts of speech were in English and then reapply the concept to Spanish...two things helped me reach a turning point--reading La Nacion everyday, and opening a milonga where most of my clients and all my employees except one spoke to me only in Spanish....it was forced learning...
Now I am fine tuning my skills with a tutor but it wouldn't have worked before. If you can, try and engage in social conversation with other Porteños. Many would be happy to exchange Spanish conversation for English. Talk to your neighbors. Talking to your spouse gives you other benefits as well!

A lot of you are very self conscious. Not all English native speakers speak perfect English, same happens in Spanish!. Do not be shy: If you have been in Arg over one year, you surely can do it. And Args love the accent, and do not give 2 s**ts for your verb tenses, trust me. Nothing is more flattering, than a foreigner trying to speak you language. And for couples, well, you know..... ;)

All good advice. I struggled with Spanish in school for 9 years and didn´t learn a thing, it doesn´t come easy to me at all. Here are some more things to try:

5) for three months, do not see anyone who speaks English. This is hard, you will feel lonely. But it will force you out of your comfort zone.

hahahaha! or should I say jejeje?

I have been doing this for the past three years and eight months.

Now I am in a new comfort zone.

Y puedo decir que "estoy en una nueva zona de comodo."

It doesn't matter in the least if it is not perfect!

(or is it "zona nueva?")

jejejejeje!

"Espero que les haya gustado," ...becomes... ¿Era rico el carne?

Then later... Les gustó?

"Espero que les haya gustado." is about 3 to 5 years away.
I used to say 'Espero que les gustaba' until teacher corrected me.
Oh and it's la carne btw.

I didn't say that he would be saying it correctly, I just said that he'd be saying: "¿Era rico el carne?"

:p

He was off. Shouldn't it be "estuvo rica la carne?" Not only estuvo instead of era, but rico must become feminine so it coincides with the feminine noun carne. Even harder than learning subjunctive, is memorizing all the d*** feminine and masculine forms of nouns. Me tienen re podridos.

Of course you could avoid all that trouble and just mimick what the porteños usually say: "que tal estuvo?" or "que tal la carne?"

He was off. Shouldn't it be "estuvo rica la carne?" Not only estuvo instead of era, but rico must become feminine so it coincides with the feminine noun carne. Even harder than learning subjunctive, is memorizing all the d*** feminine and masculine forms of nouns. Me tienen re podridos.

Of course you could avoid all that trouble and just mimick what the porteños usually say: "que tal estuvo?" or "que tal la carne?"
or just go vegan! ;)

You all the Anglo-saxons and alike, all spoiled bunches. The alphabets be them English or Spanish, they only have 26~29 letters and too easy to learn. Try the Hebrew, or Japanese or even worse, are the Chinese with too many thousands of letters ! What are you guys/girls complaining of how difficult is _el espanyol or _el ingles..The language is based on a few letters...For us the Pekinensis, when mastering the "thousands" letter in the language then one can say..Way too dificult ! So to me, any language based in only 26~29 letters are a, como se dice? Un pedazo de Bizcocho ! Ha,Ha,Ha...

Back