need answer pls

john002

Registered
Hello,i ask again because am having temporary id card document of Uruguay,i want to know if i can use it to go buenos aires because my embassy stamp is require in my birth certificate and don't have embassy here in Uruguay but in buenos aires.
John

Hello,i ask again because am having temporary id card document of Uruguay,i want to know if i can use it to go buenos aires because my embassy stamp is require in my birth certificate and don't have embassy here in Uruguay but in buenos aires.
John

I'm pretty sure your temporary ID won't get you into Argentina. You must use a passport to travel between nations if you are not a mercosur member.

Where are you originally from? You should be able to come as a tourist with your passport just fine.

Am from Nigeria and i had my passport with me and my temporary id.should i need visa to go to Argentina which is visa free to Uruguay.
John

Am from Nigeria and i had my passport with me and my temporary id.should i need visa to go to Argentina which is visa free to Uruguay.
John

John, I can't answer for sure. I have residency in Argentina and have travelled to Uruguay with no problem on my Argentina residency. But I can't say for sure if it works the other way. Since I am from the US and have no visa issue with either country, it is impossible for me to be sure whether your situation would be different. Since you aren't getting answers and this group is usually pretty responsive, my guess is that no one here knows.

John,

If you are only a resident of Uruguay, you will need a visa for Argentina. Nigerian citizens are required to apply for a visa before traveling to Argentina.

Visa waiver-style benefits for the Mercosur bloc are only granted to citizens of Mercosur countries. For example many Americans who are Argentine residents--not citizens--are required to obtain a visa for Brazil. Americans who are also Argentine citizens, however, do not need to obtain a visa prior to traveling to Brazil because they can use their Argentine passport to enter Brazilian territory.

You would only be able to enter Argentina without acquiring a visa beforehand if you were 1) an Uruguayan citizen, and/or 2) a citizen of another country that is on Argentina's "visa waiver" list.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

You could try contacting the Nigerian embassy in Buenos Aires and explaining your situation over the phone. Perhaps they can help you and get your birth certificate stamped even if it has to be done through the mail.

I think it is good advice to contact the embassy, but I have to correct the statement that you can't travel on Argentina residency. I am not a citizen of Argentina, I am a resident of Argentina and have traveled on my residency document for several years. Before, if I would offer both documents they either hand the US one back without looking at it, or they ask me which one I want to use.

I have seen several people post on this forum that you cannot travel on residency alone and that is 100% erroneous. I know people with Uruguay residency who have gone into Brazil without a visa on their residency document. However, some think it was just a lax border agent. If I were going to Brazil, just for fun I would try using only the Argentina document and see if it would work, but be prepared to get the visa if I had to.

arlean said:
I think it is good advice to contact the embassy, but I have to correct the statement that you can't travel on Argentina residency. I am not a citizen of Argentina, I am a resident of Argentina and have traveled on my residency document for several years. Before, if I would offer both documents they either hand the US one back without looking at it, or they ask me which one I want to use.

I have seen several people post on this forum that you cannot travel on residency alone and that is 100% erroneous. I know people with Uruguay residency who have gone into Brazil without a visa on their residency document. However, some think it was just a lax border agent. If I were going to Brazil, just for fun I would try using only the Argentina document and see if it would work, but be prepared to get the visa if I had to.

If you are an American citizen and an Argentine resident traveling to Mercosur member/associate countries where you do not need a visa, your Argentine residency will be OK. Uruguay is an example. U.S. citizens do not require a visa to travel to Uruguay.

However, Brazil requires Americans (as well as Canadians and Australians) to apply for a visa. If you hold an American passport and Argentine residency, you will need a visa to travel to Brazil, and the only way to get out of the requirement is by acquiring Argentine citizenship. That is 100 percent fact.

Back