Need feedback on San Telmo neighborhood

YAMSIN

Registered
Hello group, We are planning to stay for a month in San Telmo. We are from New York city and this is our first time coming to South America. How is the Avenida Juan De Garay in San Telmo. We plan to live there for a month. I am concerned about safety. Is it a safe area to walk during the day and night(up to 11pm). Please share your experiences/feedback. Highly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

San Telmo is the oldest part of the city. It has a lot of 19th century houses and buildings. It is tourist attraction, during the day is fairly safe.
After midnidnight it may be iffy. Just use taxi cabs to come and go at night, and do not flash jewelry, expensive electronics, etc. Use normal safety measures that you may use in any large city in the world. There is plenty of restos in the area too.

Residents of San Telmo can provide their Experiences . Some may say its safe others not so much?.

La Nacion reports that USA, UK, Brazil, and Swedish Embassies have warned their tourists about street muggins, and violent Crime in BA. , see link, google translate.
They report that Muggings take place in all touristy areas, such as San Telmo , Palermo , or Recoleta... chances are the same if you are the only one on the street your chances increase exponentially..!

Juan de Garay is long Who knows!

Last night 11.30 pm on Av. Santa Fe and Alto Palermo Shopping, 3 or 4 people walking on Sta. Fe. side streets dark Empty.....As a rule of thumb after dark 9 pm I hail a cab even for a 5 block ride , it's my Insurance ..Cost US$1.50. Well Worth...!

Residents of San Telmo can provide their Experiences . Some may say its safe others not so much?.

La Nacion reports that USA, UK, Brazil, and Swedish Embassies have warned their tourists about street muggins, and violent Crime in BA. , see link, google translate.
They report that Muggings take place in all touristy areas, such as San Telmo , Palermo , or Recoleta... chances are the same if you are the only one on the street your chances increase exponentially..!

Juan de Garay is long Who knows!

Last night 11.30 pm on Av. Santa Fe and Alto Palermo Shopping, 3 or 4 people walking on Sta. Fe. side streets dark Empty.....As a rule of thumb after dark 9 pm I hail a cab even for a 5 block ride , it's my Insurance ..Cost US$1.50. Well Worth...!
Thank you for prompt response, Its on Ave Juan De gray, between Balcarce and Av Paseo Colon. Do you have anything else to add based on this area? Thank you in advance.

San Telmo is the oldest part of the city. It has a lot of 19th century houses and buildings. It is tourist attraction, during the day is fairly safe.
After midnidnight it may be iffy. Just use taxi cabs to come and go at night, and do not flash jewelry, expensive electronics, etc. Use normal safety measures that you may use in any large city in the world. There is plenty of restos in the area too.
Thank you for feedback.

Thank you for prompt response, Its on Ave Juan De gray, between Balcarce and Av Paseo Colon. Do you have anything else to add based on this area? Thank you in advance.

Only San Telmo residents can tell, don't believe security varies from block to block?... However If YOU are NOT on the Street at night odds are the same ...! every where...!

i would not stay in that area of san telmo. there is some nice stuff right around the big park close by, and some very good restaurants, but i never get a good vibe walking to that side of the autopista. particularly at night. i would stay north of the autopista if you are set on staying in san telmo.

During the day it’s totally fine and I agree with the previous posts, if you take a cab after dark you should be okay as well. Actually though in many parts of San Telmo during the weekends there is a lot of night life since there are tons of restaurants and pubs, so on these nights you will see lots of people out and about.
Some flight crews stay at the InterContinental which is a great hotel but it’s in San Telmo and their appropriate airlines advise them to cab it everywhere after dark.

Back