Need feedback on San Telmo neighborhood

I agree that south of the autopista is not advisable. It's in the southern part of San Telmo and can be spooky late at night. You would be right next to La Boca and not far from Constitution and thoughs areas are to be avoided at night. I wouldn't recommend that area to anyone. I don't feel safe at night in that area at all. If possible, try to stay in Palermo, Almagro or Recoleta. Be very careful when using your cell phone anywhere in public in Buenos Aires. I read somewhere that there are approx. 4000 cell phones stolen each day here.

Last edited:
i would not stay in that area of san telmo. there is some nice stuff right around the big park close by, and some very good restaurants, but i never get a good vibe walking to that side of the autopista. particularly at night. i would stay north of the autopista if you are set on staying in san telmo.

San Telmo at night can be must more dangerous than many other neighbourhoods due to young drug addicts and gangs . I certainly would not recommend it in this current climate with a lot more poverty . Palermo Nuevo and Puerto Madero are very safe neighbourhoods .

Wha
San Telmo at night can be must more dangerous than many other neighbourhoods due to young drug addicts and gangs . I certainly would not recommend it in this current climate with a lot more poverty . Palermo Nuevo and Puerto Madero are very safe neighbourhoods .
What a crock. San Telmo is perfectly safe. People get robbed in Recoleta and Barrio Norte just as often. I have never had a problem in San Telmo late at night. Personally, Puerto Madero is sterile and boring. You might as well be in Beverly hills.

Wha

What a crock. San Telmo is perfectly safe. People get robbed in Recoleta and Barrio Norte just as often. I have never had a problem in San Telmo late at night. Personally, Puerto Madero is sterile and boring. You might as well be in Beverly hills.
Im sorry I offended you but I know this neighbourhood well Yes it has some beautiful architecture amd some blocks that are safer but the majority is much more damgerous than Puerto Madero and Palermo Nuevo. Palermo Soho is also dangerous at night and I live there but in life one must express his opinion directly even if others disagree.

Going back to San Telmo I had two properties for sale there one on Mexico 600 and Juan De Garay near Defensa. At night these neighbourhoods have drug dealers working in plain sight and on Calle Mexico it was completely a no go zone at night with a notorious gang working from a casa tomada .

Wha

Not safe for the Swedish tourist that lost his leg this year...!You Personal XP is also valid ..!

See Crime statistics for different Barrios link...

Google translate (Excerpts from link)

"With respect intentional homicides, the neighborhoods in which most events occurred were Retiro (16 cases) and Flores (12)..

Collectively, La Comuna 1, which includes Retiro, San Nicolás, Montserrat, Constitución, San Telmo and Puerto Madero leads the homicide statistics, 34 violent deaths, followed by the Commune 8 -Lugano, Soldati, Villa Riachuelo- with 19 cases and 14 in the Commune 7, Flores.

On the other hand, La Comuna 1 - which includes Retiro, San Nicolás, Montserrat, Constitución, San Telmo and Puerto Madero - accumulated the largest number of robberies and thefts in the past year, 16,115 cases, with an increase of 3 percent with compared to 2017.

i would not stay in that area of san telmo. there is some nice stuff right around the big park close by, and some very good restaurants, but i never get a good vibe walking to that side of the autopista. particularly at night. i would stay north of the autopista if you are set on staying in san telmo.
Thank you for prompt response. I will reconsider. By the way, Its on Ave Juan De gray, between Balcarce and Av Paseo Colon.

Honestly though, with BsAs being such an open and accessible city, I wouldn’t base my judgement solely on the area, while it’s true that because of the demographics of some areas you might be less likely to have something happen, take the area of the Four Seasons/Patio Bullrich for example, cusp of Retiro with Recoleta. I would always see dodgy people literally crossing the tracks from the neighbouring Villa 31 and a friend of mine was “mob mugged” (or whatever it’s called, when several people/thieves come up to you like they want to give you a hug or something and literally wipe you out- watch wallet cell phone etc) just exiting the fine dining restaurants at La Recova.

Not safe for the Swedish tourist that lost his leg this year...!You Personal XP is also valid ..!

See Crime statistics for different Barrios link...

Google translate (Excerpts from link)

"With respect intentional homicides, the neighborhoods in which most events occurred were Retiro (16 cases) and Flores (12)..

Collectively, La Comuna 1, which includes Retiro, San Nicolás, Montserrat, Constitución, San Telmo and Puerto Madero leads the homicide statistics, 34 violent deaths, followed by the Commune 8 -Lugano, Soldati, Villa Riachuelo- with 19 cases and 14 in the Commune 7, Flores.

On the other hand, La Comuna 1 - which includes Retiro, San Nicolás, Montserrat, Constitución, San Telmo and Puerto Madero - accumulated the largest number of robberies and thefts in the past year, 16,115 cases, with an increase of 3 percent with compared to 2017.

Retiro is certainly much more dangerous than Palermo Nuevo or Palermo Chico . These two neighbourhoods are heavily policed and are not close to any villas creating a safer environment. Buenos Aires is certainly more dangerous today than it was 5 years under Christina . There is a lot of poverty and desperation in the city atm and this generates a edgy atmosphere

Honestly though, with BsAs being such an open and accessible city, I wouldn’t base my judgement solely on the area, while it’s true that because of the demographics of some areas you might be less likely to have something happen, take the area of the Four Seasons/Patio Bullrich for example, cusp of Retiro with Recoleta. I would always see dodgy people literally crossing the tracks from the neighbouring Villa 31 and a friend of mine was “mob mugged” (or whatever it’s called, when several people/thieves come up to you like they want to give you a hug or something and literally wipe you out- watch wallet cell phone etc) just exiting the fine dining restaurants at La Recova.

Morale: Call an UBER and wait inside until it's up front.. !

Back