Need feedback on San Telmo neighborhood

Retiro is certainly much more dangerous than Palermo Nuevo or Palermo Chico . These two neighbourhoods are heavily policed and are not close to any villas creating a safer environment. Buenos Aires is certainly more dangerous today than it was 5 years under Christina . There is a lot of poverty and desperation in the city atm and this generates a edgy atmosphere
I thought the statistics said that crime was actually down in the city the last few years. I remember in the early 2010s when I heard more about and was much more scared about "entraderas" in apt buildings, namely my own, that I have been the last few years.

Last edited:
I thought the statistics said that crime was actually down in the city the last few years. I remember in the early 2010s when I heard more about and was much more scared about "entraderas" in apt buildings, namely my own, that I have been the last few years.
That's my impression. More cops on the streets and much less snatch and grab. Years ago there was a lot of anecdotal evidence from expats about crime. That is still the case at times but much less so. I use to witness snatch and grab frequently years ago. Since returning six months ago I've seen none.

People who pay even the slightest attention to Buenos Aires crime statistics are rather naive. Using a bit of common sense should tell you that the reason that these crime maps have Recoleta/ Palermo as “one of the worst areas for muggings” is because the people who live there (foreign expats, tourists, international students, rich argentines etc) are less used to crime and are more likely to report it. I really do struggle to take anyone seriously who says san telmo is safe or safer than recoleta palermo etc. They are living in a complete dream world and are giving out dangerous advice. Expats like to romanticise the barrio as its “bohemian” when in reality it ain’t great at all. I think about 75% of the Argentines I have spoken to here tell me it’s dangerous. Heard some bad incidents they’ve experienced there if you wish to know more. With this being said you can experience crime anywhere however, this is a big city. Still, to answer your question, no don’t stay there. There are many better places

And you believe them ?
If you talk to most expats living in the city and outskirts especially La Plata they say that crime is worse now than before .
Clarin and La Nacion now hardly publishes any incidents on crime as it goes against their interests .

Regarding entraderas there has been a spate of them of late in well known restaurants . One famous one was the Taj Mahal restaurant in pleno Palermo Soho .

Last edited:
Guillermo Andino today at 7.30 pm Canal America interviewed a man that was kicked by 5 men to steal his car, outside his home, he was badly bruised, disfigured.

Andino Closed the Segment saying " Today we must thank God to be Alive, could happen to any of US"

People who pay even the slightest attention to Buenos Aires crime statistics are rather naive. Using a bit of common sense should tell you that the reason that these crime maps have Recoleta/ Palermo as “one of the worst areas for muggings” is because the people who live there (foreign expats, tourists, international students, rich argentines etc) are less used to crime and are more likely to report it. I really do struggle to take anyone seriously who says san telmo is safe or safer than recoleta palermo etc. They are living in a complete dream world and are giving out dangerous advice. Expats like to romanticise the barrio as its “bohemian” when in reality it ain’t great at all. I think about 75% of the Argentines I have spoken to here tell me it’s dangerous. Heard some bad incidents they’ve experienced there if you wish to know more. With this being said you can experience crime anywhere however, this is a big city. Still, to answer your question, no don’t stay there. There are many better places

What I do not understand is those travellers who come to Buenos Aires and for the sake of a few dollars a night risk their experience and will stay in a more dangerous neighbourhood . Its not like Buenos Aires is that expensive that you cannot rent a apartment on airbnb in Palermo Nuevo which offers a much safer experience .

i understand that life is about adventure and anywhere can be dangerous these days . In the United States with all the shootings in the last years thiis is a very unlikely event in Buenos Aires . Here its 98 percent pickpockets and small robberies .

Regarding entraderas there has been a spate of them of late in well known restaurants . One famous one was the Taj Mahal restaurant in pleno Palermo Soho and others .

3 noviembre, 2018.
It happens so often that that you need to go a year back to find an example.

And you believe them ?
If you talk to most expats living in the city and outskirts especially La Plata they say that crime is worse now than before .
Clarin and La Nacion now hardly publishes any incidents on crime as it goes against their interests .

Regarding entraderas there has been a spate of them of late in well known restaurants . One famous one was the Taj Mahal restaurant in pleno Palermo Soho .

There's no way to have any sort of meaningful discussion if we're not basing this on hard numbers, but just our impressions.

3 noviembre, 2018.
It happens so often that that you need to go a year back to find an example.

And you need to make a point that is completely irrevalant . This was under Macris watch who apparently has stopped all crime. i have attached another link from just one month in the life of Belgrano and this was from March 2019.

As Brit in Ba has stated 80 percent of small crimes are not reported and from my own observations the city feels much more dangerous than 5 years ago .

Last edited:
What I do not understand is those travellers who come to Buenos Aires and for the sake of a few dollars a night risk their experience and will stay in a more dangerous neighbourhood . Its not like Buenos Aires is that expensive that you cannot rent a apartment on airbnb in Palermo Nuevo which offers a much safer experience .

i understand that life is about adventure and anywhere can be dangerous these days . In the United States with all the shootings in the last years thiis is a very unlikely event in Buenos Aires . Here its 98 percent pickpockets and small robberies .
To be honest, I think the problem is that most tourists that stay in these neighbourhoods think that it’s perfectly safe because of bad advice online.&yes, here it’s mainly robberies (outside of villas and really rough areas of course) I think i probably feel more at risk of getting into a violent confrontation for no reason in my home city London. However thats probably because argentines like to blow a lot of hot air. All mouth and no action lol

Back