Need Help ASAP

cruizes

Registered
I have been renting an apartment for the past 6 months at a rate of $1000. The agent advised me at the time that the contract in Argentina would be valid for 6 months only and that a new contract would be issued. He also said that he would not charge another commission and that the price of the apartment would not be increased.

Today we receive a call from the agent. He received an email from the owner that the apartment as of July 1st (7days from now) would be increased to $2000 because "that is the price of apartments in Argentina"

She also said that the $1000 refundable deposit was not refundable because she provided a sofa, bed, table, chairs etc etc etc.......WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

What can I do? I have 7 days to re-locate. I have a small dog, which is NOT the problem, because he is clean and quiet.

I always knew that the local people like to try to take advantage of foreigners but there has to be some recourse of action to help the tourist.

Thanks

I suggest you to contact Municipalidad de la Ciudad de Buenos Aires, Ombudsman for tourists: 15 4 046 9682, English spoken, Monday to Friday 10am to 6pm. Good luck!

The deposit is legally yours unless you have destroyed the sofa bed, etc. This is an outrage.

I'll pm you

Wtf!!! I have heard some bs from agents but this is waaaaay to much, please do call Defensa del Turista and Comisaria del Turista and also let the agent know that you are reporting this to this entity and also to AFIP ( they never have everything legal so they freak out ) and that you will not move until you get your deposit back ( and if I was you I wouldn´t move until I got it ).

http://www.buenosaires.gov.ar/areas/produccion/def_consumidor/turista.php?menu_id=10356#eng

Comisaría del Turista atiende consultas en inglés, italiano, francés, portugués y ucraniano.
Corrientes 436
[email protected]
Tel. 4346 5748 / 0800 999 5000

Also, when a contract is not renewed the custom is to let the tenant know 60 days in advance, as well as any other changes in prices, etc. I understand your is a temp contract so they are not well regulated, but 7 days is a joke. I am sorry you trusted your agents word, as an Argentine I have to tell you never trust anybody´s word, get everything and anything in written

1000 is Cheap... unless I don't know place and size
2000 appears not to be be soooo much, but the % increase seems to be not-admisible.

You rent with full furiture or traditional contract?
The temporal cannot be more than 6 months (true) but can be renewed.
I think you should NOT quit and negociate:
* more rational transition: ie 2 months 1300...while you found a newplace

Damian
Argentinean and landlord renting at 2000ars...that suddenly get not enogth since many expenses grew up 300 pesos this month

cruizes said:
I have been renting an apartment for the past 6 months at a rate of $1000. The agent advised me at the time that the contract in Argentina would be valid for 6 months only and that a new contract would be issued. He also said that he would not charge another commission and that the price of the apartment would not be increased.

Today we receive a call from the agent. He received an email from the owner that the apartment as of July 1st (7days from now) would be increased to $2000 because "that is the price of apartments in Argentina"

She also said that the $1000 refundable deposit? was not refundable because she provided a sofa, bed, table, chairs etc etc etc.......WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

What can I do? I have 7 days to re-locate. I have a small dog, which is NOT the problem, because he is clean and quiet.

I always knew that the local people like to try to take advantage of foreigners but there has to be some recourse of action to help the tourist.

Thanks

Sorry to hear that, cruizes. I had an experience very similar to yours in the past. There's nothing I could add to what's been said here already, but I'll be crudely honest to you: just like me, you made a mistake: written or not, you waited too long. Next time, make sure YOU start the renewal talks WELL in advance. If you don't like what you hear or the owner avoids the subject, start thinking about moving out. I'm a local. Forgive my ironic pessimism, but from my experience (many people I know share the same)... the house always wins. Yet if you can give the guy a hard time at least, do it.

Good luck and my best wishes.

Back