Need help filing American taxes

porteña said:
"It depends on how complex your taxes are, if you have rental properties, investments, etc."

No, none of that, they should be easy except for the fact that I worked there till March and then here, and I think there was something with that... meaning, don't I have to tell them about my income in Argentina too, or can I forego it? I remember when I moved to the US, there was something to be done regarding that...

Welllllllllll - are you a US citizen? Legally you should declare and pay taxes on all your income. And if you already paid taxes in ARG on the income you earned here (assuming you were employed en blanco here), you are SOL since there is not a tax treaty and I don't think you would meet the qualifications to be exempt (you need to be out of the country for 330 days). Of course, I believe if you're an Arg resident, you should be paying taxes on your world-wide income as well (so the money you earned in the US).

I don't believe Turbotax can assist you with global tax issues (US only) so if you choose to declare your income in Arg, you would need to see an accountant. However, if you don't, Turbotax is a breeze and very easy to use.

Hi All,

My firm, Omega Advisors LLC, will be arriving on 4/17 to help American Expats with their tax returns. Feel free to contact me with any questions!

FYI: If you are living abroad on 4/15, then your due date is June 15th.

Brad
www.omegafeeonly.com

Hi citygirl,
Thank you for your answer. Well, I am both a US citizen and an Argentine one... For sure, I wouldn't be happy having to pay taxes in the US, and then here (my work was en blanco) and then there, once again, for my work in Argentina. You raise an important point, though. I'll do more research on this...

Did you ever find a local accountant? I've used Turbotax before but after starting the process this year, I am pretty sure I need to go speak to an accountant.

porteña said:
Hi!

The filing date for taxes is coming up (at least in California, my state) and I always try to get my taxes done way before. This will be my first time filing taxes from abroad; on top of this, I have always used a CPA, have never even tried to figure it out on my own. It is one of those things that I leave to the experts...

I read about some folks doing them through Turbo Tax. I wonder, does anybody know of a CPA here that also works on this? Any suggestions from the US Embassy? Or is it REALLY, REALLY simple with Turbo Tax, assuming I already have all my paperwork in order to get started?

I wish I had bought one of the Dummies' books on the topic...

Thank you in advance for any suggestions/leads!
Contact your old accountant and use him/her to do the taxes if they are complex. Otherwise go to the IRS web site and find an online service, they are cheap. Do not use an Argentine accountant.

My taxes are done by a US accountant, via Fax and e-mail. She files my electronic return, and takes care of mailing my quarterly tax checks. We have been doing this for the past five years, and it works fine.

Hey SaraSara - I'm assuming your US accountant is familiar with international tax stuff. Would you mind sending me her info? I have decided that Turbotax and I are over our heads this year :)

citygirl said:
Hey SaraSara - I'm assuming your US accountant is familiar with international tax stuff. Would you mind sending me her info? I have decided that Turbotax and I are over our heads this year :)

Just sent you a PM.

Back