Need recommndation for English / Spanish exchange group

nikad

Registered
A dear friend needs to improve his English skills for some job interviews and I am a poor teacher, so I figured maybe you know of language exchange groups in the city that I can suggest to him. He can read, write and comprehend but is unable - very shy - to speak it. He is in his mid 30´s and works in IT. I would really appreciate any recommendations! Thanks :)

I really don't recommend Spanglish -- it's fine for making new friends, but actual speaking opportunities are very limited (because it's 5 minutes in English, switch partners! 5 minutes in Spanish, switch partners!) I've heard good things about Conversation Exchange, or perhaps he can find an intercambio partner on Craigslist (as I did.) He'd surely get a ton of responses from English-speakers looking to practice their Spanish.

No, Spanglish is five rounds of 10 minutes--each round is 5 minutes in English and 5 minutes in Spanish, so 10 minutes total, then the table switch. That way each person at the table gets to be the expert. That aspect seems to really help the shy folks.

At the moment we're running a winter special with the monthly unlimited pass for just 100 pesos. It can be bought on the web site or in person at one of the events. Quite a deal considering each event is 30 pesos (includes a glass of beer) and there are four events a week. Our regulars improve by leaps and bounds. It's a wonderful thing to see (and hear!) Best of luck to your friend.

every friday at LV studio (facebook: LV Studio Spanish & English Classes) there is a conversation night (class + social event) and it's only $20 pesos I think. Basically English and spanish students go and take class at the same time (in different classrooms of course) then all go to a bar to have a drink and "exchange".

Back