Need to buy an oven- advice?

Montrose

Registered
I need to buy a new oven and am not familiar with any brands down here. Does anyone have any experience buying a cheapish (1000 peso area) oven here? If so, what brand? Thanks!

Just go to Gabarino or Fra Vega, and look, in person, at the models in your price range.
That cheap, they are all pretty much the same- painted steel, wire grilles, cheap plastic knobs.
Nobody is magically going to make a $2000 peso stove for $1000 pesos- steel is a commodity, price per kilo is the same worldwide, and it just costs what it costs.
$1000 pesos is not "cheapish"- it is absolute rock bottom, low as you can go basic, no frills, el cheapo.

The differences at this price level are pretty minor- color, layout, type of burners and spiders.

Luckily, if you are buying gas, there isnt much to go wrong- its simple mechanical stuff.

Even the electric ones are pretty basic, and dont have much to go wrong.

I have gas, so I dont know about the electric ones, but I do know that the brands I actually trust to some degree are not that cheap- I have had good luck with Ariston, and with Spar, but both are more than you want to spend- the Spar is argentine made, but a subsidiary of a Swiss company, with better design, looks, and quality, and, of course, a price to match.

In this category, you will get exactly what you pay for, and its unlikely you will find better prices, or a better selection, than at the big chain stores. Plus, they deliver, will do Cuotas, and have those dapper young salesmen with the white shirts, ties, and lots of hair product...

Thanks Ries,

I'm definitely not expecting to get some wonderful machine for $1,000, but something that at least works and won't break immediately is the goal. I've been looking on mercadolibre and saw some for $600 even... but I'm not sure those are to be trusted.

I suppose I shall have to visit a store, but I do hate those pesky salesmen!

i'd go for mercadolibre if I were you. it's always cheaper than the store and it beats not having to go there to pick it up. check out their reputation. you can always buy second hand but it's always a risk. hey, while you're at it, check out craigslist. sometimes you find bargains on there.

Back