Need to buy fabric...

nledec

Registered
I'm having some furniture recovered and I need to go find the fabric. I know there is a "fabric district" in Baires, but I don't know where it is...Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Pueyrredon & Lavalle. But there are a couple of nicer stores on Arenales some where between Libertad & Montevideo/Parana. Start on the Montevideo end & walk towards Libertad on the left hand side.

nledec said:
I'm having some furniture recovered and I need to go find the fabric. I know there is a "fabric district" in Baires, but I don't know where it is...Can anyone point me in the right direction?

The place you are looking for is called "El Once".

You could start walking, starting in Pueyrredon y Corrientes, heading to the River, I would say, up to Junin. There's a lot of stores in the crossing streets as well.

Lavalle, Lavalle, Lavalle!!

The fabric stores basically start at Junín y Lavalle and go NorthWest (not that anyone knows what that means) towards Pueyrredon.

From Lavalle to Corrientes on Junin you have about 5 stores or more. From Junín to Uriburu on Lavalle you have about 6 to 8. (There's another one on Tucuman ~2057 b/n Ayacucho & Junín next to the boutique hotel across the street from a puteria which is just down from a BUTTS Video... which is across the street from a pre-school, but forget about that one.)

From Lavalle to Corrientes on Uriburu, you have a bunch more.

If you're eating a jamón y queso sandwich while shopping, try not to bump into any men wearing black suits, a white shirt, no tie, but with a black hat. They have an aversion to jamón y queso sandwiches.

A Recoleta location mentioned in the area above:

There is a store on the corner of Uruguay & Arenales (I believe) where you can get really nice fabrics at probably 2 to 4 times what you'll get in the "jamón y queso sandwich-free zone".

Napoleon said:
There is a store on the corner of Uruguay & Arenales (I believe) where you can get really nice fabrics at probably 2 to 4 times what you'll get in the "jamón y queso sandwich-free zone".

some maybe more expensive but they are much much nicer, better looking & better quality in the stores in recoleta. sometimes it doesn't pay to go too cheap.

i dont have a map handy but one block parallel to pueyrredon, i would say Larrea the whole district south and around cordoba, on this street is all fabric stores not just one block, really the whole area there are hundreds of fabric stores

diego7david said:
i dont have a map handy but one block parallel to pueyrredon, i would say Larrea the whole district south and around cordoba, on this street is all fabric stores not just one block, really the whole area there are hundreds of fabric stores

Yep. Larrea to Junin and Corrientes to close to Cordoba. (maybe stopping at Viamonte) is the oy vey district. The shmata district. That's where you'll find your rags. At least the more basic threads.

Ronchamps at Juncal and Libertad and Visconti at Paraguay 816 at Esmeralda are probably the best fabric stores in BA. There are other good stores on Arenales between Cerrrito and Parana. Besides Visconti, all are in Recoleta.

In answer to your next question, "Francisco" was recommended by a friend to reupholster 2 chairs, a few years ago. He did excellent work in a short period of time and was very reasonable. The address I have on his card is Junin 533. Tel 4373-4997. He doesn´t speak English.

take a look a www.estudiosancristobal.com.ar,
a fiend of mine told me, they have a shop or studio on mexico 1736, i still havent been.
From the website the fabrics look really cool, they do their own screen prints, and also have really nice table ware.

Back