Need To Change My Euros Into Usd Before Returning?

lucha54

Registered
The difference these past weeks between the Euro and USD is about 30-33%.
My cueva says they buy Euros but wouldn't answer my question as to whether the unofficial exchange rates also have a 30-30% gap!!

Please advise if you have traded Euro recently; is the rate really as good as it says on dolarblue.net for Euros?

I'm concerned about losing $$ changing at a change house abroad as I am not a member of any bank here.

you mean nowadays is better to have euros than dollars?

Well, comparing to exactly one year ago...

3 Sep 2012: 1 EUR = 5,85 ARS
3 Sep 2013: 1 EUR = 7,49 ARS

3 Sep 2012: 1 USD = 4,63 ARS
3 Sep 2013: 1 USD = 5,62 ARS

The euro seem to be recovering, but it's probably still harder to trade them for AR$. But to answer the original question: I'm probably bringing euros to Argentina when I move there soon, simply cause you will probably lose money trading them to USD, and then again to AR$. Unless someone could advice anything better - I'm really lousy with economics haha.

I'm talking about the blue rate!! They say you get a better rate on the black market with your USD vs. your Euros... but will it not make a difference if I have to pay a European change house to get the USD, that's the question. Thanks!

Well if you only have the euros right now, I definitely think that's the best option since you'll lose quite a lot of money exchanging to USD. So I *think* it would work out better in the long run if you trade EUR for AR$... But I'm hoping someone else can answer your question, since I'm really not too sure about it, I'm just following my own logic here.

Depending on your ATM fees - it could be interesting to take your debit card of your EUROS account to an ATM that gives you dollars (Uruguay, US, Panama, Ecuador etc.). They usually give you the interbank exchange rate - so you don't lose much. But this only makes sense if you have no or low ATM fees with your bank.

thanks all; a little more background. I don't have a Euros account. I'm in Europe using the ATM that has an agreement with my US bank so I don't get any fees. So I have the cash Euros but maybe I'll suffer a worse rate trying to change them into pesos, instead of changing them into USD before I head back to Argentina. But then there's the sting on commissions or bad rates from change offices in Europe. The problem is I am not a member of any European bank where I could walk into a branch and exchange money with little to no penalties. That's why I'm asking.

So difficult to get a straight answer...

Here you go:

According to my source (these are the selling prices (what you get))

GOVT RATE BLUE RATE % DIFFERENCE

USD 5.64 8.88 57%

EURO 7.61 11.68 53%

These figures are obviously changing every day. Honestly I don't see any problem with you bringing the Euros. Either way you would indeed lose money if you were to exchange the Euros for UDSs. Either way it's your choice. If you want I can check with my guy and see what he's paying for Euros.

that'd be great Internationalguy!! And thanks for the up-to-date info, exactly what I was looking for.

Take your losses and live happy thereafter with your dollars...!!end of subject​

Back