Neighborhood Question

I live in Martinez/Acassuso and it's ok. We have a car and pretty much drive into the city every chance we get on the weekends. We chose to be out here based on family/apartment size (we are a family of 3, soon to be 4) and I do enjoy the yard and pool, though we haven't really used either yet since we arrived as it was getting cold.

Security is an ongoing issue here in the suburbs. I've heard of break-ins when people aren't home and also problems with the garage door vulnerability issue. Overall though, I feel ok. Use your alarm, pay attention to your surroundings when parking your car, etc.

Honestly, I think some people's impression here is flat out dead wrong. The idea that Nordelta is not much safer than living in other places is absurd. It is one of the safest places to live in Argentina. It is very difficult for thieves to get in there and get out. There are ways to get in private neighborhoods, but it doesn't happen often in Nordelta. I don't really blame people who live there for wanting to live there. When I went to visit friends there I understood. You can rent an apartment in Capital, and apartments are somewhat safe (although let's not kid ourselves here, it's not all that safe), but when you walk out onto the street, your guard must go up immediately (and even if you live in a safe neighborhood, robbers can still break into your apartment and rob you). My friends in Nordelta left their house and their car unlocked all the time. Also, friends in another private neighborhood in Tigre did the same. Don't underestimate the power of being able to take your kids outdoors on the streets and run and play without fear of being robbed. The constant sensation of having to be careful in Capital is wearying and tiresome after a while. The ability to just live your life unmolested at least part of the day is practically priceless in this country in the Capital/Buenos Aires area, and that's why people live in private neighborhoods. I don't see what's wrong with this kind of thing, especially now that I have small children. No, there is not much to do (besides all the aquatic sports and fishing and outdoor stuff and all the nice restaurants in Nordelta and etc. etc.), but you can't go out that much when you have small children anyways.

Different people in different parts of their lives have different needs. If you are a single working person then Capital is a fun and interesting place to live. If you are a family of 4 or 5, you might start to think differently. You also have to take into account that if you have a long commute then you will drive an hour to an hour and a half per day. That's a long time in the car. But if you don't have to commute or work in Belgrano or something like that, it's well worth considering if you are a family of 4 or more. My friend is a family of 5 and recently moved to Nordelta. He has 1.5 hours commute but he wouldn't trade his new life for anything.

Sometimes people just get tired of city life and want some peace. It's hard to find jobs outside of the BA area in this country sometimes (that pay well), so sometimes zona norte or a barrio cerrado is the answer for some.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong to try and protect yourself by living in a private neighborhood. It would be wrong if you never tried to help anyone poor or never be involved with anyone poor. But let's be honest here. Some people just want have some peace, and are willing to pay for it.

If Nordelta is an option, the rent for apartments and houses is actually cheaper than the same size in Capital, but you won't find many mono-ambientes or small places to rent, thus in that case, rent would be higher. In Capital you can find these tiny little apartments that, of course, are cheaper, but are expensive for what they are in my opinion. It seems like neighborhoods like Nordelta and other private neighborhoods are designed more for family life. There are also lots of things to do in Nordelta itself, colegios, restaurants, and all sorts of things. In non peak traffic hours you can be in Belgrano in 40 minutes.

Back