Neighborhoods With Good Internet

JonnyJonny

Registered
Hello,

Is it true that certain neighborhoods have better quality Internet connections than others? I'm working remotely down here, and I will be moving out of my AirBnB to an apartment soon. I'm wondering if there is a particular part of the city that I should consider moving to in order to get the most stable Internet connection. I plan to have both cable and DSL installed.

Any suggestions?

How much better are you looking for? Do you an enterprise level dedicated line? If you choose a company that meets your needs, you can just call them up and ask what areas they service.

We use PhoneVision for example.

I have a 12 MB firbretel..it works pretty decently 80% of the time.

Before I had 30 MB fibretel..it was superslow!

The most reliable action to get a stable internet is to cross the border ;) There is no 1:1 relationship between neighborhood and connection quality, it depends on a ton of factors (internet package, modem, connection to the building, how many clients are connected to the endpoint, ...). Your best bet is to choose Fibertel Evolution and if the connection is crucial a second line as a backup/failover connection. Note that even with the bigger packages, your upstream connection is still quite small.

It depends on the momentl. I live on an avenida out in the boonies of the city and I had no problems until last year when the government mandated that the providers bury all their cables. Now I lose service for a couple hours 1-2 times a month.

What does vary by neighborhood is cell coverage. I get 15mbps+ 24/7 at my house so on the odd day that fibertell craps out, I just flip on the personal hotspot on my phone and wait for it to come back. I rarely notice the difference in speed.

Thanks for the feedback. I am considering a dedicated line, as well as a supplemental backup line. Coming from Portland, Oregon, I'm not used to the aspect of shared service. I don't need much bandwidth, up or down. Line quality and latency are the import factors. I'll take a look at PhoneVision.

I'm also interested in information on property management companies that cater to expats in need of stable Internet, as I'll need to have them upgrade my service without my having a DNI. I lucked out with a good AirBnB host on my initial landing pad.

Shared here is the same as shared in portland. Unless you're leasing actual bandwidth, you're getting routed on shared lines. Do you need 100% uninterrupted or can you switch in the case of interruptions. If you can handle a 30 second down time, using a cell phone as a back up is a perfectly workable solution. Otherwise you really need 2 connections and a load balancing router.

I can tolerate minor (minutes) of downtime, but I use a VoIP phone that connects to a home office in Toronto, which won't work over a cell phone hotstop. It appears that I'll need two connections to ensure a reliability. I'm all for paying for a business tier connection as the primary, but I'll need to find a property management company that will assist me with installing these services.

And to my initial question, I'm looking for a neighborhood that would best suit these needs. Perhaps it isn't the neighborhood, but the line quality in the buildings within the neighborhood.

Why won't your voip work over a cell connection. Mine works. It's just data, same as anything else.

I have 2 internet connections (neither great - Arnet 6MB and fibertel 6) which both plug into the same router.

The router lets you choose between using it as a load balancer and using just one connection, with the other as a backup. In practice, the load balancer doesn't work great and my VOIP phone line as well as some programs I use crap out every few minutes.

As a backup it's fine, though when one goes down I have to manually switch over to the other. Still easier to do it from my cell phone in bed than physically changing cables, but that's about it.

Back