Nervous Perma-Tourist

nickname303

Registered
Hey everyone.

I've been a perma-tourist for the last year, living in Buenos Aires on a well-expired tourist visa. I'm now jumping through the hoops to get the FBI background check and all the other documents for the DNI, BUT in the interim I have to return to the united states. My question, then is:

should I expect any difficulties re-entering the country from the United States? I've had my visa renewed once, that also expired. My passport is filled with stamps of entry and departure stamps. should I be nervous they won't allow me to reenter the country?

The immigration officers are expert at sniffing out those Perma-Tourists that are working here illegally. As you walk toward the immigration booth with your shifty eyes and racked with guilt for taking a job from an unemployed Argentine, the immigration officer can smell your deceit and depravity and you can expect your passport to be stamped DENIED.

Hey everyone.

I've been a perma-tourist for the last year, living in Buenos Aires on a well-expired tourist visa. I'm now jumping through the hoops to get the FBI background check and all the other documents for the DNI, BUT in the interim I have to return to the united states. My question, then is:

should I expect any difficulties re-entering the country from the United States? I've had my visa renewed once, that also expired. My passport is filled with stamps of entry and departure stamps. should I be nervous they won't allow me to reenter the country?
What is your excuse for not keeping your visa current every 90 days? Returning to the USA while processing your FBI records request is a waste of time. Wait until you leave the USA to do it. This paperwork is required to begin the process of temporary residency, not to get a DNI. You need to read more in other threads before you begin.

The immigration officers are expert at sniffing out those Perma-Tourists that are working here illegally. As you walk toward the immigration booth with your shifty eyes and racked with guilt for taking a job from an unemployed Argentine, the immigration officer can smell your deceit and depravity and you can expect your passport to be stamped DENIED.

They can smell the greater efficiency and hard work of a foreigner. They can't have any of that here, that would destroy their 3hr long mate breaks.

Not sure about how you will fare through immigration, but be aware that the FBI is installing a new computer system right now and it is taking well over 6 weeks to get your fingerprints processed. I sent mine in on May 2 and still have not gotten the criminal check back. When I talked with them last week, they were processing requests dated April 22.

Don't listen to the scare-mongerers. Argie immigration inspectors don't care at all about American perma-tourists. This conversation has come up like 20 times on BA Expats and never once has anybody ever been actually 'denied'. There are random stories about 'a friend of a friend' but never any real evidence. Certain 'sky-is-falling' people (ahem Joe) make wild proclamations to scare people.

The only people that ever seem to have problems are the people that go to migraciones to 'extend' their 90 days. Just pay the fine and be on your merry way.

Not sure about how you will fare through immigration, but be aware that the FBI is installing a new computer system right now and it is taking well over 6 weeks to get your fingerprints processed. I sent mine in on May 2 and still have not gotten the criminal check back. When I talked with them last week, they were processing requests dated April 22.

On average it takes them 12 weeks so 6 weeks would be a vast improvement.

ETA - I'm assuming the OP knows that if you get your background check and then go to the US, it invalidates the check and you have to do it all over again.

On average it takes them 12 weeks so 6 weeks would be a vast improvement.

ETA - I'm assuming the OP knows that if you get your background check and then go to the US, it invalidates the check and you have to do it all over again.

Thanks everyone! Just a brief follow up question, probably as naive as the previous- while I'm back in the USA, is there no other, quicker way to get the background check, say with the state police?

The message seems to be to wait until I've returned to Argentina to SEND the FBI prints, since if by some miracle they manage to issue the background check during the time of my stay state-side- in late july to mid-august, it would be invalid. Do I have that right?

They usually don't check to see if you've left the country again after the FBI check. But technically that's correct. But I'm finishing my second year of temp residency and certainly have gone back to the US for short visits since having received the "all clear"...

Back