New ARG banknotes will be printed with the faces of national heroes

OK, that makes sense. If it's just a case of the software needing to be updated, and not some defect in the bills, then no harm no foul.
Ideally, the gov't should have worked with the banks in advance to coordinate these changes, but hey, Argentina...

Personally, I only take money out of the ATM, I never put it in.

If you want to criticize, (because any stick will do to beat an ugly dog), let's talk about the crisis level shortage of small bills, and just where the ***** did all those new 5 and 10 peso coins disappear to? I'm not buying that they were sold for scrap. That was true of the old bronze coins, yes, but I severely doubt there's anything in the new ones with a salvage value greater than the face value.

....and not some defect in the bills....
Last month I attempted to deposit a $1,000 bill at an ATM at my branch of Banco Supervielle. I received it that same morning at a Coto store
in the Abasto. It was part of the change given for my $2000 bill. My bank exchanged it at the counter. The teller verified that the bill I was given
was a forgery!

Click anywhere on the article in Spanish to open the menu. Next click on Translate to English.
23 February 2024 by Pablo Fernandez Blanco
....A work team made up of the Central Bank (Santiago Bausili) and Casa de Moneda (Daniel Méndez) works around the clock to negotiate with Chinese, Brazilian and Spanish executives on the payment alternatives that Argentina has with a view to guaranteeing supply of bills. The objective is to ensure the arrival of bills in March so that the banks are well supplied and there is enough cash in the ATMs in a context of high inflation. The ongoing negotiations involve the arrival, no later than next month, of 250 million $1,000 bills from Spain, another 90 million of the same denomination from the Brazilian printer and 90 million from China. In the latter case, these are $2000 bills....

When are the ATM machines going to recalibrated to accept the larger bills? I tried to pay my consorcio with 2 mil notes. The machine spit them out.

When are the ATM machines going to recalibrated to accept the larger bills? I tried to pay my consorcio with 2 mil notes. The machine spit them out.
Updated information not found since the publishing of this article....

23 September 2023 by Pilar Wolffelt
....a source close to the banking entities acknowledges that "most banks have not yet finished adapting their ATMs." In fact, in many cases, they exchange them manually at the cashiers because they cannot put them in the self-service terminals due to lack of technical preparation, which generates surprise and anger in clients....

But you neither use nor trust the Argentine banks, so surely this can't possibly apply to you.

But you neither use nor trust the Argentine banks, so surely this can't possibly apply to you.
I have to pay my building consorcio and my health insurance premium to their banks. I deposit cash to their bank accounts via ATMs. I have no bank account here.

Back