New ARG banknotes will be printed with the faces of national heroes

16 May 2022 by Pablo Fernandez Blanco
The $5000 bill. Despite Alberto Fernández's refusal, it has a design, it is in production and there is a delivery date....The production of the new $5000 bill is very advanced: the paper and inks have already been purchased -something in which the State has invested around 9 million dollars-, it will cost almost $6 per unit, its design has been completed, its security measures have been defined and the delivery schedule has been set. The first batch should be in the hands of the Banco Central led by Miguel Pesce in mid-June. Then, the helm of the monetary entity will define whether to put it on the street and contradict the President. Both have an additional pressure: the pandemic has changed people's relationship with money, so that the public takes refuge in "the physical" and demand has increased. In other words: if the new denomination does not circulate, there could be a shortage of money....
Oh good. I’m sure by the time it arrives it will be worth $10… and a few months later a grand sum of $5. But according to this government’s logic, the more papelitos you have in your wallet, the richer you are so that’s probably why he doesn’t want a bigger note any time soon (same way CFK resisted anything bigger than $100 during her reign).

Unfortunately Argentine presidents have carte-Blanche to act like caprichoso little trolls and impose their propaganda on every facet of life - just to show “their” brand of Argentina and “their” achievements and “their” symbols.
Showcase apolitical national symbols like natural treasures? What a waste of an opportunity… animals can’t vote.

While I think it’s nice to have gender inclusive bank notes, it’s hardly a priority unless actually featuring them on new higher denomination bills. Meanwhile it doesn’t actually make the country any more or less progressive.

PS I’ve not seen any normal country overhaul their bank notes as frequently as Argentina. Perhaps someone can share actual examples rather than just scream “but everyone else does it”. Most countries keep the design and figures on them for decades, simply doing minor adjustments from time to time to improve security to avoid counterfeits (something that not many will bother attempting for a $4 note in the first place…)

The AR bills in higher denominations actually have hidden security features that only show up under UV light. In the USA, you can buy a low power handheld UV light for dirt cheap, but here they are unobtainium; the few I have located were hideously expensive.

I do like the new 5 & 10 peso coins. The chronic shortage of small change here is a pain in the ass, and they will help. Now I'd suggest 20 and 50 peso coins should be next.

The economics of coin vs bill is interesting. Setting aside design issues, minting a coin costs more, as in 2.5 to 3.5 times the cost of printing a paper bill, but the expected service life of a coin is 16 times that of a bill.

When I lived in London in '77, a good 30-40% of the coins in circulation were old shilling coins serving at their new decimal values, and that was 6 years after Decimal Day. (It's interesting to note that Wikipedia is entirely wrong about this, stating that "all old coins were quickly withdrawn from circulation") Some of those old shilling coins I saw in 1977 had dates well back into the early 60's or earlier.

16 May 2022 by Pablo Fernandez Blanco
The $5000 bill. Despite Alberto Fernández's refusal, it has a design, it is in production and there is a delivery date....The production of the new $5000 bill is very advanced: the paper and inks have already been purchased -something in which the State has invested around 9 million dollars-, it will cost almost $6 per unit, its design has been completed, its security measures have been defined and the delivery schedule has been set. The first batch should be in the hands of the Banco Central led by Miguel Pesce in mid-June. Then, the helm of the monetary entity will define whether to put it on the street and contradict the President. Both have an additional pressure: the pandemic has changed people's relationship with money, so that the public takes refuge in "the physical" and demand has increased. In other words: if the new denomination does not circulate, there could be a shortage of money....
Oh good something else that no store or vendor can make change for. Handing a 500 or 1000 to a kiosko is like a battle of wills. No I don't have anything smaller....

Macri changed the bills from national heroes (same as in EVERY COUNTRY) to animals, 'changing something that wasn't broken', as you put it. This is just a restoration to how it was previously. Curiously, no words like this were spoken here when Macri did that and you actually say that you like it.
The bills series were changed completely when $200, $500, and $1,000 bills were introduced; could he have added "national heroes" sure, but to be less polarizing, they wen't with nature and the beauty of Argentina, which is in fact common; contrary to what you have said. Not all countries or currency unions use "national heroes" some examples are:

• European Union and the Euro
  • Brazil and the Real
  • The Renminbi has Mao on the front of every bill, but different landscapes/buildings on the reverse
  • Hong Kong Dollar (issued by 3 banks, but the HSBC ones are the most in circulation and include architecture/nature)
  • South African Rand (some have Mandela, but most are animals/nature)
Curiously, no words like this were spoken here when Macri did that and you actually say that you like it. So, when he did it, it wasn't 'pissing away money'? It was actually a good thing, somehow, because you like the pretty pictures? The cost is no longer a concern? Interesting dissonance
You do realize that many countries redesign their currencies when introducing higher denominations. The Ks have not done this and are instead re-inventing the wheel. I prefer the animals and nature because they're not polarizing, but I'd settle for some other K "hero" if it meant we got a 5,000 peso bill, but no, we go back to people with none of the benefit of spending the money to redesign the currency.

You're framing a completely normal thing - almost every country has national figures on banknotes, including your own doubtlessly - as somehow horrible. It really shows just how deep the desire to hate goes. Combined with your thinking that 'the problem with Argentina is the Argentines', it sounds like you just hate the country and its people and might want to consider leaving - perhaps back home? I hear people who invent fake news can go pretty far in the US.
Again, I gave you several examples of how this is just not the case with several of the world's most traded currencies. I'm against putting people on money period, anywhere, because they are polarizing.

I didn't like Eva Perón being put on the $100, but it's better than the low bar of you Peronists celebrating Roca's genocide and the "conquest of the desert" when the Peso Argentino was introduced in the 1990s.

Finally, Argentina is my home as much as anyone else's. I'm a permanent resident, I'm naturalizing as a citizen; I live here, pay taxes here, and I will bitch about the stupid decisions our feckless "leaders" make as much as I fucking please. Why? Because it's my country too and I have every right to, even if I didn't come "on the ships" from Spain/Italy.

23 May 2022
President Alberto Fernández announced the reintroduction of the national heroes to Argentina's banknotes....
they will start to be in circulation in six months....
New series of banknotes: which hero will be on each one of them:
General José de San Martín will be on the $1000 bill.
The $500 bill will feature Manuel Belgrano and Remedios del Valle.
On the $200 bill will be Martín Miguel de Güemes next to Juana Azurduy
On the $100 bill will be María Eva Duarte de Perón....
The head of the Central Bank, Miguel Pesce, anticipated today that the circulation of banknotes with animals will be gradual. "The substitution will be progressive", he said, and specified: "As they deteriorate, they will be taken out of circulation"....
The President ruled out the issuance of new banknote denominations.

Last edited:
Back