New Daily Peso Limit?

jb5 said:
Their are some answers if you have high balances in your bank accounts. B of A waives all those fees for wealth management clients. Pool money with trusted friends and family.

anyone still have faith in the caves? Will Uruguay continue to play the roll of providing dollars in AR?

I went to Caramelo, Uruguay in December, on the boat from Tigre, and I have NEVER been as thoroughly groped by an immigrations officer as I was that day (and they are rough in the US!), both going and coming back from Uruguay. I thought it was strange, and only when I told the story to my bf's step-father, who works for the AFIP, did he tell me it's because they're looking for bundles of cash going to and from Uruguay. Sooo... bringing dollars in and out that way is going to be more difficult.

*Special observations: I've never been body checked at an airport here, but I haven't flown to Uruguay. And there is one ubiquitous personal iten that I've never had checked. In light of people keeping things secret here and not advertising our secrets, ou can PM me for what it is and try your hand at it, in case anyone wants to risk it and try and move some cash. ;-)

Final note: I just came back from the US and brought dollars to sell instead of even going through the ATM process. And further, I'm starting to pay in dollars any chance I get, which is often, and the exchange rate is much better than the ATM, because people want the dollars. Getting change can be a problem, but I'm always open to getting change in pesos, since I need them anyway.

slater said:
What happened to all the talk about security? The info on this thread makes for some good targets. Citi non Bancelo ATM for large withdrawals and even location and day given?????:eek: And plastered on the WWW???
Come on folks....smarten up!!!! Please for your own safety and those of others.

Thanks for your concern, but let me specify that I live in a good neighborhood, the citibank is located four blocks from my flat, and I would only go during the day, and take the cash straight home to my apartment to be locked away... I know it's a risk! But I have calculated it already. :)

OK so I tried it at the non-Banelco ATM in Citibank and it worked but only for 2,000 peso withdrawal... it gave some notice about not enough denominations (??) something like that.. maybe it had to do with how much cash was in the machine, and not with my daily withdraw limit (which is $700US as far as I knew). Still, that saves me $7.50 USD in charges!! And it came out in all 50-peso notes!! YAY! Wish I had known about this last year! Better late than never, I Guess :D

lucha54 said:
OK so I tried it at the non-Banelco ATM in Citibank and it worked but only for 2,000 peso withdrawal... it gave some notice about not enough denominations (??) something like that.. maybe it had to do with how much cash was in the machine, and not with my daily withdraw limit (which is $700US as far as I knew). Still, that saves me $7.50 USD in charges!! And it came out in all 50-peso notes!! YAY! Wish I had known about this last year! Better late than never, I Guess :D

Hi Lucha,

I also have an US Citibank account...which Citi branch did you use to withdraw cash here in BA?

Funniest line all night about how people act when you had them a 100! That's been one of the biggest bitches since moving here. Oh well, it's so true and very funny.

luisman75 said:
Hi Lucha,

I also have an US Citibank account...which Citi branch did you use to withdraw cash here in BA?

You can go to any Citibank, just make sure you use the Citi ATM, not the bancelo one.

If you go to the Citi.com site, you can check the locations of the citibank branches here.

luisman75 said:
Hi Lucha,

Note that I have a Bank of America account, not citi. BofA charges me $5 per foreign withdrawal (unless it's at a partner bank which are in many countries of the world... but none here in Arg!) and I get about a $2.50 charge from whatever bank I use here. So the more I can take out at a time, the better, since its ~$7.50USD every time.

I called Citibank once and asked about fees if I were to open a Citibank account in the states... this could be incorrect, but the person on the phone informed me that although I wouldn't get an ATM fee, they would still charge a currency conversion fee! For taking out the money in pesos. Even citibank to citibank. :/

Also, an American friend here with a Wells Fargo account gets large amounts of money wired/delivered to Banco Frances (I think?) with ZERO fees because they have some kind of agreement. He has to go inside the bank to pick it up I think, but he doesn't have to deal with all this ATM b-s. If anyone wants more info on that, let me know and I'll ask him for specifics.

Cheers everyone!
~Lucha

My bank is HSBC and my account is located outside Argentina as well. Today I was shocked to learn that although my daily withdrawal limit is 3000 USD, I was only allowed to make 2, 1000 peso withdrawals (like always, they graciously allow me to pay them almost 10 USD/transaction for the convenience) before I slammed into that porous wall of immutable Argentine logic, the new daily limit.

Typically, I asked the bank what the hell was this...their answer...there is now an equivalent of 300 USD/day withdrawal limit for everyone. When I pointed out that 2000 pesos is actually more like 460 USD they just shrugged.

Is it just me or are these people so fucking ineptly stupid? If they need dollars, it would seem to me that everytime we withdraw cash, they get the dollars and give us pesos...you would think they would want us to bring in alot of Dollars or Euros, wouldn't you?

Three days ago (March 5th), I withdrew two times 4.000 pesos at the Citibank in Pilar/Northern suburbs (foreign bank account). There's something weird here.

Limits for Argentine permanent residents and/or citizens?

Back